Model 70/mrc 99 stock inletting question

Smokepoles

I've searched the web and forums and haven't found an actual conclusive answer here, I'm hoping one of you may have experience with this. I have a montana 99 in a stock that is just way to pretty to hunt, is the only difference between the 99 and 70 inletting the side bolt release on the 99 or is there more to it? I'm wondering if it'd be quicker and easier to fit it to a stock cut for a 70 or if I need to order one cut for the montana. It's a short action with a montana one piece floorplate if it makes a difference, it looks like the fn Pbr shares the same footprint as well? thanks in advance.

I've searched the web and forums and haven't found an actual conclusive answer here, I'm hoping one of you may have experience with this. I have a montana 99 in a stock that is just way to pretty to hunt, is the only difference between the 99 and 70 inletting the side bolt release on the 99 or is there more to it? I'm wondering if it'd be quicker and easier to fit it to a stock cut for a 70 or if I need to order one cut for the montana. It's a short action with a montana one piece floorplate if it makes a difference, it looks like the fn Pbr shares the same footprint as well? thanks in advance.

Smokepoles, I'm thinking the front ring is longer on the MRC. I'd have to lay them side by side (which I will do later today) to for a visual inspection. The MRC is NOT a 'drop-in' in a Win. 70 stock, although it is close and the guard screw spacing is the same. You would be best served to order your stock for the model you have instead of trying to adapt a stock made for another model.

thanks shortgrass, I actually found a good comparison with pics on 24hcf in the gunsmithing section yesterday and what you said is about dead nuts correct.

I had a HS precision win70 stock sitting here, the folks at Montana assured me the stock would fit, bought one of their junk rifles & the stock will not fit. the floorplates are even slightly different, the front rec bridge is longer on the montana due to the inner mauser type ring the Win70 does not have.

Win70 have a half dozen post 64 & pre 64 - none look like this cast *** - once the action is removed from the stock night & day.

I do not think the rifles are worth what they ask for them, better off building a Win70 classic or Pre64 - This NEW montana has a horrible trigger I was shooting a cheap Century Arms FAL today to zero a scope & yes that military rifle had a much nicer trigger, Century does not have a very good reputation.

The website shows the action using the Win70 Express Magnum scope base layout, this long magnum action rifle I have uses the standard Win70 base layout.

Montana & Kimber both companies that lack decent business ethics IMO

MRCs' castings are investment cast at "Pine Tree Castings". "Pine Tree Castings" is the company started by Bill Ruger to investment cast receivers for Ruger Firearms Co. Investment casting is a 'high-tech' method of casting intricate, critical parts and is used in many industries. It is a solid, proven method. MRC receivers are CNC machined from those castings. MRCs' might not be 'target' quality, like a Bat or Borden, but they make as fine a huntin' rifle as a 700, where you'd change the trigger out on that, too. Thank the klutzs and the lawyers for the crappy triggers on 'factory' rifles.

Its the same as a USGI or a LRB M14 Hammer forged vs a cheaper Springfeild Inc M1A or Armscorp M14 investment cast - but the Montana could be finished nicer so its not so ugly underneath for $1k+

I have not fired this montana for $1k I expected maybe a tad too much, the stock situation really started me down a bad road with them.

Honestly the underside is not as nice as a Walmart Win70

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.