Stock Inletting Question

BigSky!

I'm getting more and more into my factory rifle modifications. I think my question is probably simple for those "in the know"; however, I don't want to start without first getting some expert/experienced input.

I have a Remington 700 308 which I am putting into an HS Precision stock. I have installed a Timney trigger on my action. When I place the entire rifle back together two things happen. 1) The safety is very stiff/tight (binding somewhat); and, 2) When the bolt release is engaged to release the bolt, the bolt releases; but, the lever apparently stays engaged and when the bolt is replaced, it still slides right out. By the way, this also happens with the factory trigger.

Anyway, I assume I need to "take a dremel" to my stock. I want to be sure I'm doing it right. In looking at it, it appears as though whatever modifications I need to make are on part of the aluminum bedding block. Does that make sense? If so, my fear is that I would cut through the aluminum bedding block thus damaging the structural integrity. Or, is the amount of material that "should" need to be removed small enough that I should never approach that point. In the alternative, am I looking at it wrong and should my modification be necessary to the stock material other than the bedding block?

By the way, according to the seller, this HS Precision stock is a take-off from a Remington factory rifle. I believe it as the recoil pad is a Remington pad and looks to be factory.

Thanks in advance for any input or guidance any of you can provide.

Big, the aluminum block should not be affected since only a small amount material needs removal. Use the black soot from a candle on the action areas you think are binding and install the action in the stock. Dremel the spots where the soot is deposited. Remove material sparingly and recheck with soot until binding is relieved. A set of small jeweler's files will help. All stocks will also benefit from some bedding. If you aren't comfortable doing the inletting, take it to a gunsmith. Safeties, triggers and bolt release problems should be taken seriously. Be safe

Inletting black is a whole lot easier to use than soot. (available from Brownells or Midway. use a tinning/flux brush, like used to apply flux to copper before soldering, to apply)

I'm getting more and more into my factory rifle modifications. I think my question is probably simple for those "in the know"; however, I don't want to start without first getting some expert/experienced input.

I have a Remington 700 308 which I am putting into an HS Precision stock. I have installed a Timney trigger on my action. When I place the entire rifle back together two things happen. 1) The safety is very stiff/tight (binding somewhat); and, 2) When the bolt release is engaged to release the bolt, the bolt releases; but, the lever apparently stays engaged and when the bolt is replaced, it still slides right out. By the way, this also happens with the factory trigger.

Anyway, I assume I need to "take a dremel" to my stock. I want to be sure I'm doing it right. In looking at it, it appears as though whatever modifications I need to make are on part of the aluminum bedding block. Does that make sense? If so, my fear is that I would cut through the aluminum bedding block thus damaging the structural integrity. Or, is the amount of material that "should" need to be removed small enough that I should never approach that point. In the alternative, am I looking at it wrong and should my modification be necessary to the stock material other than the bedding block?

By the way, according to the seller, this HS Precision stock is a take-off from a Remington factory rifle. I believe it as the recoil pad is a Remington pad and looks to be factory.

Thanks in advance for any input or guidance any of you can provide.

Aftermarket triggers are often thicker than the Remington's and it is not unusual to have to remove some stock/insert material. This does not hurt the stock as long as you don't remove to much.

For this, a Dremel will be fine. I like to take the trigger guard off and with the action and trigger in the stock, look through the bottom metal inletting for the clearance issues with the trigger.

After the trigger has been cleared, with the action in place check the trigger guard it's self for clearance. (Some times the bolt release and/or the safety will be interfering with the bottom metal
and need to be relieved).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.