Model 70 - Choice verification and mix/match Shadow/Extreme Weather

Doc7

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. There seems to be some Winchester Model 70 knowledge here so I am hoping to get some advice!

I have been looking for a rifle that will be my first centerfire and filling a broad swath of "needs" before I start specializing later on. I plan on using it at the range for 100-300 yard distance and use it to hunt everything from bears to coyotes, and a dream hunt would be an elk. I have selected a 7mm-08 as the lowest recoiling but acceptable choice for these purposes.

I have been waffling between many models (from the budget entries to the X-Bolt Hunter etc) for many months and have decided recently that I really like the Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. This rifle will be something that I can confidently use for a lifetime and should be accurate, I love everything I know about the Model 70 action and hear great things about the FN rifles. I like that it comes with a good recoil pad meaning I only need to mount a scope and go.

I had originally been DEAD-SET on wood and blue. But with a baby coming any day now, I realize that while I may be OK taking it hunting, there is no way I would want to take a wood and blue out in inclement weather just to shoot for a few free hours at the range. A stainless and synthetic means that I won't have to give up a day of shooting and time will be a rare commodity...for the next 18 years!

If you are with me and agree so far, I have kind of a twist. It seems rare to me to find the Extreme Weather in 7mm-08. What happens if I buy the Ultimate Shadow model and then the Bell/Carlson Medalist drop-in stock for the Model 70?

- The barrel won't be fluted. Does this mean I will get more shots before needing to cool off during "range time" or fewer shots?

- Will it be heavier or lighter than either rifle is on their own? Both rifles are listed at 6 lb 12 oz. But for all I know the Ultimate Shadow has a heavier barrel and lighter stock and the EW is opposite. I don't mind extra ounces as I am sure this will attenuate recoil for range days. I hunt in Virginia so weight is not a big concern at all to me.

- Anything else I would need to know or buy if I ended up doing something like this?

Thanks!

Now that I think about it some more...

What if I get the Ultimate Shadow SS and put it in a Boyds laminate stock?

This gives me about 8.5 Lbs scoped which is probably good for recoil and also a look that I like while not sacrificing weather resistance. I can glass and pillar bed the Boyds stock. In the end I have a custom rifle project that I can learn a lot from (will also be hand loading)

Would the Ultimate Shadow or the Extreme Weather barrel be better at holding group size before opening up at the target range? This is where my lack of knowledge of these particular barrels confounds me.

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. There seems to be some Winchester Model 70 knowledge here so I am hoping to get some advice!

I have been looking for a rifle that will be my first centerfire and filling a broad swath of "needs" before I start specializing later on. I plan on using it at the range for 100-300 yard distance and use it to hunt everything from bears to coyotes, and a dream hunt would be an elk. I have selected a 7mm-08 as the lowest recoiling but acceptable choice for these purposes.

I have been waffling between many models (from the budget entries to the X-Bolt Hunter etc) for many months and have decided recently that I really like the Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. This rifle will be something that I can confidently use for a lifetime and should be accurate, I love everything I know about the Model 70 action and hear great things about the FN rifles. I like that it comes with a good recoil pad meaning I only need to mount a scope and go.

I had originally been DEAD-SET on wood and blue. But with a baby coming any day now, I realize that while I may be OK taking it hunting, there is no way I would want to take a wood and blue out in inclement weather just to shoot for a few free hours at the range. A stainless and synthetic means that I won't have to give up a day of shooting and time will be a rare commodity...for the next 18 years!

If you are with me and agree so far, I have kind of a twist. It seems rare to me to find the Extreme Weather in 7mm-08. What happens if I buy the Ultimate Shadow model and then the Bell/Carlson Medalist drop-in stock for the Model 70?

- The barrel won't be fluted. Does this mean I will get more shots before needing to cool off during "range time" or fewer shots?

- Will it be heavier or lighter than either rifle is on their own? Both rifles are listed at 6 lb 12 oz. But for all I know the Ultimate Shadow has a heavier barrel and lighter stock and the EW is opposite. I don't mind extra ounces as I am sure this will attenuate recoil for range days. I hunt in Virginia so weight is not a big concern at all to me.

- Anything else I would need to know or buy if I ended up doing something like this?

Thanks!

I would consider the barrel fluting on the Extreme Weather model to be mostly decorative. It really won't have much practical effect on weight, barrel cooling, or accuracy.

Going with the Ultimate Shadow SS model and putting it in a B&C stock would be a practical option. However, it may or may not be a drop-in proposition. Some fitting by a gunsmith may be required. It would be wise to factor that into your planning. If no fitting is needed, you will be that much ahead of the game.

You might also consider going with a 7mm Rem Mag. It would allow for more long term flexibility, especially since you have elk hunting listed as a potential application. You can always load your Rem Mag down to 7-08 levels, but you cannot load a 7-08 up to Rem Mag levels. As well, if you ever decide to do a build on your rifle, the long action with a magnum bolt face will leave you with more options than you would have with a short action.

Now that I think about it some more...

What if I get the Ultimate Shadow SS and put it in a Boyds laminate stock?

This gives me about 8.5 Lbs scoped which is probably good for recoil and also a look that I like while not sacrificing weather resistance. I can glass and pillar bed the Boyds stock. In the end I have a custom rifle project that I can learn a lot from (will also be hand loading)

Would the Ultimate Shadow or the Extreme Weather barrel be better at holding group size before opening up at the target range? This is where my lack of knowledge of these particular barrels confounds me.

I have used Boyds stocks and have done bedding work myself with good results. But, there will be a lot of inletting involved to get a good fit. There is a lot more to doing this than you realize. You will need to buy inletting tools and it will take a lot of time and patience to get it right. In the end, it will cost you at least as much as a B&C and you will end up with something that is not as good. A good synthetic stock with an aluminum bedding block is a much higher quality option. The B&C is far and away a better stock.

As far as group size between models is concerned, remember that you will be dealing with a factory barrel on either rifle. Any difference between the two will have more to do with luck of the draw than any differences in configuration. Despite what the marketing materials may say, there won't be a difference in inherent accuracy between the two that is attributable to the barrel.

The B&C stock on the Extreme Weather is likely to have a much greater effect on accuracy, but that can be a non-factor if you are planning to replace the stock on an Ultimate Shadow.

Thanks I will go ahead with the Bell carlson stock. Maybe at some point I can pillar and glass it if I feel it needs it but sounds like I will be happier and have an easier time with a ready to shoot out of the box rifle with a proven system already in place. I can pick up a laminated stock for not much money and bed it etc in free time as a project and maybe compare the two in accuracy, weight and recoil - no reason the action can't be bedded to more than one stock!

I have model 70 in the classic hunter in 264 win mag and 300 wsm , feather weight in 243 and 308. and the extreme ss in a 264 win mag. here is what I did with my 300 I took and had the gun cerrakoted for $200cI glass bedded the stocked for $40. that means I got $ 800 into the gun and it is very tough. I hope this helps you . oh my extreme came glass bedded from Winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.