Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS or Model 70 Ultimate Shadow SS?

Whitewolf393

I'm contemplating either one of these rifles for a new all around North American big game rifle. I've never fired either and have only read reviews, but I would get it in 30-06 and want to mount a Leupold VX-R 4x16x50 ballistic firedot on it. I have checked out the Remington XCR II, but it just didn't do it for me, and the Browning A-Bolt felt great, but the bolt design was not something I liked as compared to the Mauser action, which I like alot.

The lighter barrel on the Extreme Weather SS is a potential concern as far as accuracy maybe, although others have reported 1" to sub-MOA, and the Ultimate Shadow barrel is a bit heavier and 2oz lighter in overall weight in weight I see.

If anyone has experience with either of these in this caliber or close enough, please chime in, I could use some advice. I don't hand load, so I would be relying for now at least on the best factory hunting ammo I could find. I would also be selling my AR to fund this project, as I see myself more hunting than just target shooting into the future.

Thanks as always fellow hunters.

My Ultimate Shadow (not stainless) in 30-06 is a good shooter at around .75 moa right out of the box with good reloads.

I have done the load development for 2 xtreme weathers in the last 2 months, both were in 7 mag, and both of them shot sub Moa with bergers loaded 3 tho off the lands, I had never shot one before and was very impressed by both these rifles. I also mounted Huskemaws on both of them and they shoot sub moa 5 shot groups at 1000 as long as you dont get the barrel to hot.

I've got a 300 WSM EW and it shoots great. I've shot several groups measuring less than .30 MOA. Mine dotes on heavy bullets from 200 grain Accubonds, to 230 grain Bergers. My current load is 210 grain Berger at 2825 to 2850 fps. The last time I shot, it printed a 1.25" 4 shot group at 330 yards off the bipod. the Winchester WSM actions offer a lot of wiggle room for reloads. If you are considering a WSM of any kind, the Win. is the one to get because the action and magazine are a bit longer than other WSM offerings, allowing you seat bullets out to the lands and maintain the use of the magazine. I can reliably feed an OAL of 3.015 through the magazine, where others may be lucky to reach 2.865

The only thing I don't particularly care for is the MOA trigger Winchester uses now. As with several other factory triggers, this one just doesn't have enough adjustment and there aren't enough quality replacement options available. I was able to get mine to an acceptable level by adjusting it as light as I could get it, then I added one of Ernie's light weight springs. It's crisp, and I can shoot it well, but I would still like it about a pound lighter.

I have an Extreme Weather in 30-06 and could not be happier with it. With 150 grain Hornady Interbond projectiles and 62grains of H4350 it will put 5 shots into thumbnail size groups at 100yds. It did this out of the box. I put a 3-9x42 Khales scope on it.

I took mine Tahr and Chamois hunting in the New Zealand Alps and found it a great little rifle in the mountains.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts