Model 70 Extreme weather ss or Sako A7?

Shifty

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site but I'm torn on what rifle to get. I am looking at the Winchester model 70 extreme weather,Tikka T3X, Sako A7, and lastly Weatherby Vanguard. I will be getting it in 300 win mag, primary use is hunting but also will be doing some long range shooting probably 500-800 yds. All of these rifles are within a couple hundred bucks of each other so price isn't a factor. Looking for advice from people that have used these rifles. Pro's cons and suggestions. I do hand load so if someone has input on some ballistics they have good luck with that would be great. I'm probably going to be loading 150 grain nosler accubonds. Thanks

I bought my M70 EW .300WM last year. All in all, I wish I hadn't.

Don't get me wrong, I am a confirmed M70 man. I love, love, love the FWT .270 I built this year for my deer rifle. McMillan Hunter (edge) stock, original barrel, Rifle Basix trigger, cerakote.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy a very basic M70, and build up a new rifle. I bought my EW as an elk gun in rainy Washington, but now I find the barrel too long (heavy and cumbersome) and the stock isn't what I want. Now I am going to go replace the stock, rebarrel it, and probably cerakote it. The stock trigger is fine with me, so I probably won't touch that. I paid $1200 for the rifle, and I'll probably put another $1200-1500 into it. If I had just built what I wanted, I probably would have saved $500 or so. Not the end of the world, but a learning experience. I'll just sell off the old parts and be happy with my new(new) elk gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts