Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather

I have the model 70 ew in 7mm and it is a shooter. The best group I shot was with rl 22 I believe shooting 168 grains berger vld hunting bullets it was .655 group. I am still in the testing mode with 160 accubonds and some other berger loads. I am wanting to use hodgdon extreme powder so have some H1000 and h4350 loads to test with the bergers and accubonds. I think it is safe to say that it likes bergers. Almost shot 2 shots one hole with bergers. I was 100 thousands off the the lands. My new loads are 45 thousands off the lands. Hopefully the group will tighten up more. Not bad for an 8lb 2 oz rifle from the factory.

That's good info and very encouraging! Is that straight 7mm or Rem Mag you have?

Funny, I was just looking at Berger bullets online today and also read an article here on LRH from a gent who works for Berger. Excellent info, if you haven't read it already. I plan to get his book.

Hmm, it seems I'm getting closer yet to that Model 70 EW purchase the more I read and hear about it.

That's good info and very encouraging! Is that straight 7mm or Rem Mag you have?

Funny, I was just looking at Berger bullets online today and also read an article here on LRH from a gent who works for Berger. Excellent info, if you haven't read it already. I plan to get his book.

Hmm, it seems I'm getting closer yet to that Model 70 EW purchase the more I read and hear about it.

I have one in 300 WSM. I use it as my pack rifle. It is a consistent 1/2 MOA gun with Bergers. I can't say that I've had any issues with the thin barrel. A few weeks ago I fired 4 consecutive shots with 210 Bergers at 300 yards. The rifle printed a 1.25" group with those 4 shots.

The beauty with the win 70 action is that you can feed and function a WSM round of up around 3.015". This makes it easy to load to the lands, and it frees up case capacity to burn the slower powders with the long bullets.

IMG_0288.jpg

My only complaint is with the new trigger. It's plenty crisp, and although it's easily adjustable, I would like it lighter. I installed lighter spring to bring it down a bit more and it's good enough, but I would like to briing it down another 8-10 oz. Timney has stated they will have a replacement unit available soon.

I have one in 300 WSM. I use it as my pack rifle. It is a consistent 1/2 MOA gun with Bergers. I can't say that I've had any issues with the thin barrel. A few weeks ago I fired 4 consecutive shots with 210 Bergers at 300 yards. The rifle printed a 1.25" group with those 4 shots.

The beauty with the win 70 action is that you can feed and function a WSM round of up around 3.015". This makes it easy to load to the lands, and it frees up case capacity to burn the slower powders with the long bullets.

IMG_0288.jpg

My only complaint is with the new trigger. It's plenty crisp, and although it's easily adjustable, I would like it lighter. I installed lighter spring to bring it down a bit more and it's good enough, but I would like to briing it down another 8-10 oz. Timney has stated they will have a replacement unit available soon.

Very nice rifle and accuracy report on that. Since I don't handload yet (live in an apartment and can't store powder), I would get as close as I can get with factory ammo until I start. If Timney is making a better trigger, that's good too, although 3lbs would likely be good enough for me. I like the Model 70 Mauser claw action over the Remington and Browning.

Best group of my berger bullet test was pretty close to half moa with 57 grains h4350 didn't chrono the loads. The other powder i used was H1000 the best was 67 grains which two bullets touched and had one off by and inch a half which was probably my fault. I have yet to try the accubonds just need more time. No pressure signs. 68 grains h1000 the group opened significantly same with the H4350 at 58 grains. The rifle dang sure bites a bit.

I have 2 model 70s one a 300 H & H made in 1939 with 180ge Nosler Partions it's around 1 MOA my other is a Model 70 XTR made in the early 1980s of the 2, I like the XTR in . 264 Win Mag less recoil & I have Remingtons & they are accurate but I like the Safety on Model 70s & the Trigger is the best. Some like Blondes & some Brunettes. I always say buy what you like you have to live with it.

There are some super shadows on gunbroker to be had for about 500, put it in the stock you like and if the barrel doesn't shoot, just trash it and re-barrel. I just got one in 7wsm and it actually shoots well. Even though it's a spaghetti barrel I like the weight and re stocking it won't add that much more weight.

I think those ultimate shadows are a steal. The actions especially the short action magnums are a good buy for building a rifle right now.

Can't wait to here the results of your build because this is virtually identical to what i have planned for a future build!!

My build starts when my new stock gets in. The gun shoots okay with the pencil barrel so I'm just going to re stock it with a "precisionriflestock" pillar and glass bedded, trigger job and see how tight the groups are then. If they sre sround 1/2 to 3/4 then I will just leave until the barrel goes. That may take some time. But it's already in the 1- 1/14 range with factory ammo as is. At 1/2-3/4" i would feel comfortable hunting out to 4-500 yards. I'l let you know but that will be about 5 more months.

I bought a model 70 EW in 300 win mag. IT IS TERRIBLY INACCURATE!!! With factory ammo, it shoots 2 1/2 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. I've tried Reminton Premier, Winchester, Barnes Vor-Tx, Hornady, Federal Premium and Federal Fusion in bullets weights of 150, 165 and 180 grains. I've had a friend shoot it with similar results. I shoot off of a lead sled. I've tried a Zeiss and a Nikon scope. I've checked the scope base and ring screws. Winchester's website says it should shoot 1 inch groups with factory ammo. JUST A BAD RIFLE.

I bought a model 70 EW in 300 win mag. IT IS TERRIBLY INACCURATE!!! With factory ammo, it shoots 2 1/2 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. I've tried Reminton Premier, Winchester, Barnes Vor-Tx, Hornady, Federal Premium and Federal Fusion in bullets weights of 150, 165 and 180 grains. I've had a friend shoot it with similar results. I shoot off of a lead sled. I've tried a Zeiss and a Nikon scope. I've checked the scope base and ring screws. Winchester's website says it should shoot 1 inch groups with factory ammo. JUST A BAD RIFLE.

Yup... my experience is, if you want a reasonable expectation of buying a rifle and being happy with it, you buy foreign. Seems the Czechs, the Finns and the Japanese can do quite a bit better than a coin tosses chance of making something that shoots.

You can send it back to Winchester but they'll tell you up front that they'll charge you just to take it out of the box and look at it. Still might be worth it though. I bought one of these rifles too. I don't think I'll be buying another unless it's for the purpose of enriching a competent gunsmith.

Sounds like its just a crappy rifle, they make them all to time you know.

Soooo. Would you be thinking of selling it?? I never liked fatory loads and it sounds like your rifle and I might just hit it off?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.