Model 7 or 700

etisll40

Thinking about building a short action 243 ai and wondering if I am giving up anything by going with a model 7 versus 700? The model 7 seems to be a good action. Aftermarket stocks and triggers the same? Bolt handle? Maybe a sako extractor job? Can anyone explain the difference? Composite stock.

Thanks,
Ed

585-943-9412

If you do gun smithing, maybe call me, I need someone to do it.

Thinking about building a short action 243 ai and wondering if I am giving up anything by going with a model 7 versus 700? The model 7 seems to be a good action. Aftermarket stocks and triggers the same? Bolt handle? Maybe a sako extractor job? Can anyone explain the difference? Composite stock.

Thanks,
Ed

585-943-9412

The model 7 is a shorter action Ed, So if your going to the trouble of the AI, I will make the assumption you will be trying to milk it all out of a long VLD bullet? My assumption made you can either get the rem SA and have a wayatts mag box installed with the build and have zero issues with COAL. Or you can get the model 7 and have a standard rem sa mag box modified for it and be right where you would have been with the sa receiver.

Looks like a rem700 is the way to go. I like the win70 push feeds better. I don't think you can customize the bolt handle on win70's though. Or can you?

The model 7 is a shorter action Ed, So if your going to the trouble of the AI, I will make the assumption you will be trying to milk it all out of a long VLD bullet? My assumption made you can either get the rem SA and have a wayatts mag box installed with the build and have zero issues with COAL. Or you can get the model 7 and have a standard rem sa mag box modified for it and be right where you would have been with the sa receiver.

How much shorter is the m7 vs m700 and do you know the action weight
difference?

You can't add a Wyatts box on a Model 7 the triggers are different but good ones are available for them. But the Model 7 would make a nice build the 6mm bullets doesn't need the length the 6.5 needs. 243 imp is what I built my kids for coyote hunting 95 gr bergers or 70 gr ballistic tips shot well.

Good Luck with your build.

Thanks,
Ed

585-943-9412

The Model 7 is a very good action and the difference between the 700 SA and the Model 7
is the overall length (1/2'' shorter). The trigger is the same and mag length is also the same.

Floor metal and stocks are different. (Shorter, with different spacing on the action screws).

If you can find a Model 7 with a good stock and a standard bolt face you are good to go with just a barrel and trigger change.

I have built many WSMs and SAUMs on the Model 7 and have been very pleased with accuracy
and compactness.

You will not need an extended mag for ether the 700 or the Mod 7 with the 243 AI.

The 700 SA is also a good choice because stocks, floor metal and scope mounts are easer to find.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

It does, I'm assuming jewel is drop in replacement JE? That's critical for me.

The pin spacing is the same on all 700 and mod 7s
some mod 7s have a short bolt release and if you tell Jewell what you have they will set it up with the proper bolt release and safety.

PS get the one with the safety!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.