moa's to mil's (conversion)

Brien

moa\'s to mil\'s (conversion)

i need to know how to convert moa's to mils'
if my train of thought is right 1 mil (36's @1000) would be 3+ moa...? but i would like to know exactly how much and be able to convert it at 1,2,3,4,500yds etc...
i have a scope that has hold over dots 3moa apart .. so how close to 1 mil would that be? and would that be close enough to use as a rangefinder to 1000yds on top of a 7mm rem mag?
Brien

Re: moa\'s to mil\'s (conversion)

BTM
Why would you want to convert MOA to MILS?
Just use MOA
1 MOA @ 100 yards = 1.047 inches
1 MOA @ 1000 yards = 10.47 inches

Most people are not good at ranging with a retcile and the longer the distance the worse off you are.

It can be done and you should learn how just in case your rangefinder dies, But get a range finder and be happy "push button get range" no math no mistakes no BS.

CAM

BTM
here is an example and why I don't think it will work for you out to 1000 yards.

Big Buck 19" from belly to back
With 3MOA between lines

When the Bucks belly and back was 6MOA (2 lines) he would be 300 yards away.

When the bucks belly and back was 3MOA ( one line)he would be 600 yards away!

When you guess at 1.5MOA (1/2 your setup) he would be 1200 yards.

Hope this helps and not make things worse.

CAM

Cam

Completely agree with you. The chest difference between a small buck with a nice rack and a large buck with the same rack will lead to a miss at 1000yds.

Through the scope rangefinders were the best we had a quarter of a century ago and that was what I used. Sometimes I made my shot and sometimes I didn't.

Missed a very small whitetail buck about 5 years ago that came limping across a far hill with a broken front leg. I tried to range him thorugh the scope as he moved and tried my best to put him down but the little 240wby bullets impacts couldn't be spotted in the wet oak leaves. I know now that every bullet was over his back. I felt bad that I couldn't finish what some body else had crippled but through the scope just isn't fast enough and accurate enough.

Laser rangfinders are just so very accurate that there is no comparison. They are also very fast and do not depend on the animal standing still broad side against a good background while you take repeated readings.

Good to know how to do it through the scope in case your rangfinder's batteries go dead or it just won't range, but I would not recommend it for the primary method unless it is just all you can afford.

CAM and Buffalo Bob.. i have a laser for hunting.. i need the rangefinding reticle for a match in the spring .. it is to 1000yds unknown distance and no lasers allowed... shooting i believe all stationary targets .
thanks abinok.. now i just need to figure whether or not i can break it down accurately enough to tell if a steel plate is 850 or 925... i believe i will be shooting a 7 rem mag with a heavy krieger on it... so i will have a little room for error over the 308's that will be competing...but my lack of experience will overide my magnum advantage...lol..
Brien

BTM
OK, so now I know why you need to range find, But I still don't know why you want to convert MOA to MIL?

The problem as I see it from this side of the Puter is,

You have MOA in your scope.
You want to convert to Mils.
Estimate range in MILS.
use known range for drop.
convert known range to MOA hold.
pull trigger and knock over target.
Win match !!

Moa and Mils are both units of measure.
Its all most like feet and inches (Same thing but diferent)
or yards and meters you get the picture. if you know how big a yard is you tend to use yards, if you grew up using meters then you would like meters better.

For good ranging you need some smaller graduations than 3MOA, you can mentally divide the 3MOA into smaller sections but how good is subjective.

the reticle shown in this post would break it up into 1/4 MOA http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post85130

I just find MOA to work better and faster for me.
for down and dirty use 1" for 100 yrds this will be off by about 5%

Are you trying to use a MIL card for range?

any who good luck at your match this spring.

CAM

[ QUOTE ]
CAM and Buffalo Bob.. i have a laser for hunting.. i need the rangefinding reticle for a match in the spring .. it is to 1000yds unknown distance and no lasers allowed... shooting i believe all stationary targets .
thanks abinok.. now i just need to figure whether or not i can break it down accurately enough to tell if a steel plate is 850 or 925... i believe i will be shooting a 7 rem mag with a heavy krieger on it... so i will have a little room for error over the 308's that will be competing...but my lack of experience will overide my magnum advantage...lol..
Brien

[/ QUOTE ]

HAH -- I'll see you at Seneca Rocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW -- it is a little over 1000yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dont need to convert mils-MOA for ASC -- you can get close enough with a normal mil-dot as long as you call it right -- you can break it into 1/10mil easily.

Personall i used a NPR2 NF 22x at the Fall ASC match and loved it.

Which weekend you going?

o yea, make sure you have a mil-dot master!

Jason

i figure i will buy a mil dot scope for the match...it would be easier and i will have a mil dot master as well... i am not sure which weekend we will go.. i think there may be 10 of us but not sure as of yet...
jb .. what rifle did you use for the fall asc?
do you also shoot at southfork PA? if so i may have already met you...
Brien

shot a cobbled together 308 in an A3 with a 22x NF NPR2

My scope was the PERFECT one for that match.

MDM works for mildot AND MOA reticles FYI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif just as quick with MOA -- line up the slide, and read the yardage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No southfork, just mifflin county - www.mifflincosportsmens.com

JB

how did you end up doing at the fall ASC? you lost me on the MDM with the moa's.. i looked at it on there website but am not sure how it would work with moa's i will take another look.. how hot did you get you barrel up there..?
were most of them still shooting 308's? do you see an advantage/disadvantage of using a magnum up there?
Brien

MDM = mildot master

no hot barrel, only 2-3 shots at a time...well till the end of the first day when i chose to dump 20rds at 600yds in about 5 mins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Results are posted there -- i ended up 4th with 526 i think, the winner had 553. 5th place was ~470, so the top 4 were pretty tight -- we all pulled some stupid shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Definately able to cheat angle and range miscalcs with a magnum, but a miss with a magnum is still 0 points. The top 2 were 300wins, not sure on 3rd place.

HTH,
JB

I wish I could get in on some shoots like that. You boys in the East have several shooting competitions, and the rest of you out West, well you have wide-open plains. I feel lucky in East TX to have a chance this year to have a chance to hunt where ranges exceed 200 yards. The farthest I can shoot at a known distance is 535 yards, but I hope to change that with a 20 MOA base on my 300 SAUM and a Swaro or Leica laser range finder. Then I can strech my legs on a power line where by conservative estimates, I can engage targets out to 1k if the landowner permits. The only downside is I have to wait until after deer season is over.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.