Opinions thoughts on a 6.5 conversion from .308

Ua26fitter

I've got a Sako .308 that I've been kicking around having rebarreled.
After doing some looking around I don't think I'm going back with a 308.
I really like the ballistics of the 6.5 rounds I've looked at. But I'm seeing so many options.
I don't mind a wild cat. I like to tinker so they tend to attract me.
What the pro's and con's of the different 6.5 cases? I'm seeing some WSM, WSSM and several other cases for the 6.5
I'd like to shoot a 140ish frm bullet and use it for hunting. Probably a 22-24" barrel.
I'd like to build it so it carry well on a horse also. Mostly deer size game. Maybe an elk or bear 6 or 700 yards
Looking for ideas and thoughts. I'm partial to Lilja barrels but open to others.

Kris

I'm glad to hear that you want to "downsize". I have seen the 6.5 Creedmore shot to 970 yards and it was a tack driver! Shoots a 140 gr pill, too. Get a 4 or 5R barrel and I would opt for 24 inches. It will do you very well. You can get very accurate factory ammo,too. I got a 260 (before the Creeds came out) and while I am very happy with it, go with the Creed. Same for the 6 Creed. I got into the 6x47L before the Creeds came, but while I am also very happy with it, I would recommend the 6 Creed over it because, like the 6.5 Creed, you can get accurate factory ammo. While all of these calibers are excellent numbers down range, I recommend for your needs the 6.5 Creedmore. It will do everything you want.

I'm glad to hear that you want to "downsize". I have seen the 6.5 Creedmore shot to 970 yards and it was a tack driver! Shoots a 140 gr pill, too. Get a 4 or 5R barrel and I would opt for 24 inches. It will do you very well. You can get very accurate factory ammo,too. I got a 260 (before the Creeds came out) and while I am very happy with it, go with the Creed. Same for the 6 Creed. I got into the 6x47L before the Creeds came, but while I am also very happy with it, I would recommend the 6 Creed over it because, like the 6.5 Creed, you can get accurate factory ammo. While all of these calibers are excellent numbers down range, I recommend for your needs the 6.5 Creedmore. It will do everything you want.

thank you for the reply.
I've been reading a lot on the 6.5 Sherman short mag. I just need to do a little home work and see if it can be built on the 308 action with no feeding issues. I'm not to concerned about buying factory ammo and already own and load 2 wild cats both in .308 cal. I am actually thinking about a 6.5 Creed but will probably buy it as a complete rifle in a youth size for one of my kids. They are all a few years away from being able to hunt so it's on the back burner for now.

Kris

Kris, I don't know anything about the Sherman, but the name sounds like it's a stomp er! As for your kids, think VERY seriously about the 6 Creedmore. It is easy to shoot and packs quite a punch with 108 gr. bullets. VERY flat shooting,too.
Also, if you haven't gotten yerself a "muffler", aka suppressor, you should. Kids flinch (and so do a lot of adults!) when the blast goes off. I have brought a lot of young shooters into our sport because of suppressors on rifles. Blast, not recoil, is what turns more new shooters away from the shooting sports.
Sooo, get a 4 or 5R barrel in 6.5 cal. for you, and a complete rifle in 6 Creedmore for your kids. You can use it too when they aren't.:cool: Do some reading on both cal.s.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.