MOA vs. MIL

Great thread. I have a LR hunting build in progress and recently spent a lot of time researching this very question. As has already been stated, both systems are as easily used, once they are understood as angular measurements and one stops trying to convert them to inches. Too Much Thinking! I decided to stay with MOA because the adjustment of .25 MOA is finer than .1 MIL, and my most demanding hunting is long range rock chucks. I bought a S&B 4-16 PMII with Darrel Hollands MOA reticle. It is almost identical to the IOR shown here, but is in 1.5 MOA increments with 2 and 4 MOA windage hold-off's down the vertical axis. This reticle is also available in a leupold and NF scopes.
My next addition is going to be the new G7 rangefinder. It will express shoot to distances in MOA, eliminating the need to refer to range cards.

Jon,
I like the simplicity of the 1 MOA reticle matched with MOA turrets.

Simply observe shot POI, read off the required correction directly off the reticle, dial in the correction and shoot. Works for me.

That question was for John the OP.

Jon A, I'm sure you always have something in the works.

Everybody else... learn both, then make an educated decision.
It's all preference and a means to an end, they do the same thing.
It's like saying,"Blonds or Brunetts?" I say both!:D

I am still using mil/mil in Vortex and Nighrforce. For the most part I always use the LR and Shooter on my phone so I don't range with the reticle much. Next one I may buy an MOA scope and see if it makes things any faster for me.

Sightron has a couple of new reticles and I want to try their SIII next.

that IOR reticle looks pimp, actually never knew they had that one. any other details on the scope, turrets, power, zero stop etc??
It's their 3.5-18X50. It's available in either Mil or MOA, SFP or FFP. MOA versions have 25 MOA per turn, the Mil versions have 10 Mils per turn. It does have a zero stop but I didn't use it as I didn't like the way it works--it blocks the indicator mark on the turret so you need to look down at it. Also it's just not needed on this scope.

It's really an outstanding scope on many levels, much improved from the original 3-18X42 except in weight--at 37-38 oz it's a bit more than I want to have on a carry rifle these days.
Jon A, I'm sure you always have something in the works.
Always!

Anyway, for those worried the .1 Mil clicks are too coarse, March's new big daddy extreme long range tactical March-FX has .05 Mil clicks. That looks like a hell of a scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.