Mil-dot/MRAD vs MOA

gregw83

What are your thoughts on this? I hunt groundhogs, and I've used mil dots pretty effectively to range my shots from my 223 with 55gr bullets within the range they are commonly used for (350 yds and under) I just bought myself a savage model 12 lrp in .243 to dramatically increase that distance. I posted a topic before, but after a lot of thinking and internet research on different reticle and price options for good optics at a reasonable price for doing what I plan to do, I honestly can't make up my mind. Mil dots are not as easy to do as far as hold over off the top of your head as MOA is, but 3.6" between the dots typically at 10x is what they are. I've been stuck on this because that 3.6" is roughly the size of a groundhogs head, and it has worked out quite well for me. stretch that out to 600 or so, you need 1/2 dots, or a smaller measurement. I've considered just getting a range finder, but one that could range a woodchuck at 500+ yards probably won't come cheap seeing as how they advertise 1000+ yards on reflective targets, 500-600 on deer. I've considered the hawke sidewinder, but it's true at 20x, so I can't up the magnification to shrink the dots in half like I can with a 10x mil dot at longer ranges. I've seen vortex makes the 6-24 HS-T, true at 18x, offered in MOA or MRAD. What do you think guys????

I say get a good second focal plane scope, med-fine crosshair reticle, Leica laser range finder, dial either inches per hundred yards or 1/8-1/4MOA with that elevation knob, and hold center of crosshair top of the grass. When the GH stands up, mind your level and inject lead.

gregw83

Stretching out to 600 yards with a bigger gun is a bit problematic if you want to just range estimate from the reticle. The reason, my 6mm rem drops 29.2 at 500 yards and 50.4 at 600 yards. The bullet is falling rapidly when it gets out there and you need to KNOW the range to hit a small target. Get the latest version of the Leica 1600 rangefinder and dial up. I bought mine for around $800. That is about what a medium priced scope goes for and it is critical to success when you try to get out there past 500 yards.

Engineering 101

I realizing I am highjacking this thread. I am also interested in the original question.

Do you mount your Leica on a tripod to take a reading? I have difficulty ranging @ 400 yds for prairie dogs with mine. The land is flat without significant demarcations other than a mound. Have you experienced this problem with the 1600?

Chuck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.