MOA vs. inches question

While you are reading up on MOA and turret adjustment increments, you also will need to study up on "Trajectory Validation". The only way to know what YOUR load does in YOUR rifle is to test and validate. If you obtained your muzzle velocity with a chronograph, that is good. But it is not fact, only a measurement from a particular tool, with a certain margin of error. The ballistic coefficient of your bullet is a mathematically derived value, and is also subject to some error, and when the bullet leaves your barrel, it doesn't look like it did in the box, which may have a small effect on the actual or "True BC" as observed downrange. So what's a poor marksman to do? He gets his MV off the chrono, his BC from the bullet box, generates a drop chart with a ballistic program, then he goes to the range to validate. Shoot your zero range, and two longer ranges, with the longest one being the longest at which you expect to shoot while hunting if that is possible. If I hope to shoot 800 yards on the hunt, I would shoot my zero, then 600 and 800 yards doing my best for group at each. Then record the difference in point of impact from point of aim, and run the numbers through the ballistic program again to obtain the "validated" trajectory. Chrono's may lie, and BCs may vary, but holes in targets tell the truth.

I don't get that website to bring anything up? Is it something other than Eskimo.com?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

There are lots of ballistic websites and free phone apps available out there. Because the OP posted it in 2004, that company or its website is probably no longer available.

The custom search on the top right hand corner is an excellent tool yet very under utilized. Give it a try!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.