MOA rifles vs true custom build

Fast88

I'm torn on my next rifle. I am considering a long action hunting rifle and can get a decent deal on a MOA rifle and have it next week. I've also been talking with AO as I have had a few of their rifles and all shot lights out. Doing a quick search I didn't see many MOA rifles for sale or many opinions on them with an exception of a few back in 2014 ( I think this was the year). The wait doesn't bother me and isn't really a concern as I was quoted about a month with my build through AO since all parts are currently in house.

What do y'all think?

I don't consider myself an expert on custom rifles nor an expert shot. I do have a 300 wsm in a MOA rifle. It's the entry level short action rifle. I've had the rifle for approx. 1 1/2 years and probably have put a couple hundred rounds through the rifle. To me the fit and finish of the rifle is pretty good. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the muzzle break. It's effective and does it's job, just isn't as seemless and nice looking as some of the breaks on some rifles. The rifle does shoot well. Half inch 3 shot groups consistantly, shooting the 215 bergers. The people at MOA rifles are very nice, great communication, helpful and never called that I didn't get help or a return phone call in a timely manner. As you can tell I do like the rifle and would purchase another. Not sure this helps you much. Good luck with your decision.

I'm torn on my next rifle. I am considering a long action hunting rifle and can get a decent deal on a MOA rifle and have it next week. I've also been talking with AO as I have had a few of their rifles and all shot lights out. Doing a quick search I didn't see many MOA rifles for sale or many opinions on them with an exception of a few back in 2014 ( I think this was the year). The wait doesn't bother me and isn't really a concern as I was quoted about a month with my build through AO since all parts are currently in house.

What do y'all think?

IIWY, I'd picked all the components "I" like and have a reputable gunsmith put it together, but that's just me. Good luck on your project build.

I'd choose a gunbuilder over a gunsmith every time.
The difference is that gunbuilder(the best of them) put out what they've worked out. They build good guns, their design, -and THEN sell them. GAP is a good example of this.

IMO, a gunsmith is a gun repairer, who will often do whatever you ask & pay for. They each have some particular skills(like bedding, stock finishing, maybe barrel finishing, etc.) that can exceed the skills of a gunbuilder in one area or another. But they don't design, test, refine, test, and put out a product with known results. That's on YOU to do with this route.

A combination of the two is presented by 'Quarter Minute Magnums'. Accurate Custom Hunting Rifles by Quarter Minute Magnums
They build or have built, work up loads, present the results per load, and sell that known overall result.
I love this business model.

Here we go again, too early for popcorn but hopefully our resident gunsmiths will chime. BTW, my go to gunsmiths builds awesome shooters. :):Dgun)

Think I'll stay out of this one. I too have a good gunsmith and that's all I'm saying.:D

I would suggest going with a smith, not bugtussle gun works of hog wallow hallow, but a well known reputable gunsmith. I have had guns from GAP, Gunwerks, and AI that were kind of "box guns" that came pre made. I have also had customs from Beanland, Gradous, Addis, GAP, TSC, and LPR that were full customs. Saying gun smiths are for repairs is just unintelligent at best. These are master craftsman that can do it all with modern techniques and equipment. Don't listen to old curmudgeons that say things like that or "you can do everything with a SFP and you can't with FFP" statements like that are comical. If you're shelling out 4-8k for the rifle it might as well be the exact way you want it. I like picking every detail of my build out. Some will even do your load data for you as an option, I personally like doing my own but to each his own.

Will they both shoot well, most likely..... I prefer a little form with my function! I mean after all can you drop something at range with a R700 and a PST? Yes, but I prefer to have a S&B on a Defiance, that's as beautiful as it is accurate and dependable.

Just my $.02

Think I'll stay out of this one. I too have a good gunsmith and that's all I'm saying.:D

L:)L! I think this sums it up ...

Saying gun smiths are for repairs is just unintelligent at best. These are master craftsman that can do it all with modern techniques and equipment. Don't listen to old curmudgeons that say things like that

To the OP, whichever route you end with, good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Cheers!

Fast88,

Given the choice I would rather have a full custom rifle from a good smith that is a rifle builder. I think what was said earlier can be summed up with, not all smiths are created equal. We are very particular about gun smiths and they are not a dime a dozen. A full custom rifle is not just the sum of the parts. It is as much or more important to consider who is putting them together. With the right 'who' there is no substitute for a full custom.

Steve

That's what I'm suggesting Steve.
GAP is not local gun smithing. It's gun design and building.
I could try out a handful of the best gunsmiths in NC. They would each put together what ever I asked for, some of them would end up shooting alright, one might shoot great.
Or I could order a gun from a gunbuilder (like GAP) and know what arrives will shoot, because they knew what they were sending to me will shoot.

Where I assemble my own, I use the best I can in action builder, stock finisher, barrel finisher -not general gunsmiths.
Is was very apparent there was nothing gunsmithed in a Tubb2000 that I enjoyed for a time. It was purely a work of art in machining, and brilliant design. Engineering over gunsmithing.

I don't have anything against gunsmithing as a profession. I just think the odds of holding a well shooting gun are better when it came from a builder(whether gunsmith or not) who worked out that combination to success.

Here we go again, too early for popcorn but hopefully our resident gunsmiths will chime. BTW, my go to gunsmiths builds awesome shooters. :):Dgun)

I started to take your advice, but could not resist commenting.

The problem is I am opinionated about the question so I will try to give a un-opinionated response.

First, there are some very good pre-made rifles that will shoot very well, and with some careful research you can find a good one. If I were going to buy a pre-made rifle I would first look at the guys on this site like Len for one because they understand the needs of our sport and have a reputation to look out for with the membership.

Lots of builders require that you pay for testing of there preferred loading and offer no accuracy guaranty if you shoot/load any other load that there's. This is one of the issues that I have with these rifles because a well made rifle will/should shoot every load well and when you find the right load it will be scary accurate.

Going the custom build has many advantages in my opinion if you pick the right smith that wants to build you something special and has the skills to do so. They are out there if you look and talk to them and explain what you want and expect.

When finished, a custom built rifle should be one of a kind, exactly what you wanted, and the build should be a lot of fun and satisfaction. In the end, your chances of owning a real nail driver should be better, and cost might even be less because you are not paying for a name, just quality. Its kind of like having a baby, You should enjoy making it and have complete control of its quality and performance if it is treated/raised right.

Building one with the right smith can also a 'good' learning experience if the right smith is picked.

J E CUSTOM

That's what I'm suggesting Steve.
GAP is not local gun smithing. It's gun design and building.
I could try out a handful of the best gunsmiths in NC. They would each put together what ever I asked for, some of them would end up shooting alright, one might shoot great.
Or I could order a gun from a gunbuilder (like GAP) and know what arrives will shoot, because they knew what they were sending to me will shoot.

Where I assemble my own, I use the best I can in action builder, stock finisher, barrel finisher -not general gunsmiths.
Is was very apparent there was nothing gunsmithed in a Tubb2000 that I enjoyed for a time. It was purely a work of art in machining, and brilliant design. Engineering over gunsmithing.

I don't have anything against gunsmithing as a profession. I just think the odds of holding a well shooting gun are better when it came from a builder(whether gunsmith or not) who worked out that combination to success.

I understand what you are saying. This is more or less what we do when we sell a custom rifle. We are not smiths, we have a couple that we trust completely and are willing to put our name on the product that they worked on for us. Our rifles are sent out already shooting.

That said I have yet to shoot a Ruger American that doesn't shoot quite well. Made by a rifle builder, I guess. They are not like our full custom rifles though.

Like Feenix would say: It is good that there are choices for everyone.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.