MOA challenge

Ive heard of people doing this but why would you want to glue your barrel into the upper receiver?
Is there some play in your barrel extension to receiver mating?
The AR I built had a very tight fit, I almost had to force it to seat fully. That and a properly torqued barrel nut means there is absolutely no play whatsoever.

I could see how glue would change barrel harmonics, but I dont know how you would control that, It seems completely hit or miss weather or not gluing a barrel would improve or worsen the harmonics.

What did you use? I would think basically any glue you would use would melt and re harden as the barrel heated and cooled constantly changing any effects it might have.

Oh and my new SWFA 3-15x42 should come in a few days so I should have a target to post this weekend for the MOA challenge

this is my play gun. My range gun. I built it from scratch. It has been an experiment from day one. I wll do about anything to it for smaller groups. from the experts

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...curate-ar-robert-whitley-explains-what-works/

rcoody - you must be a pretty consistent shooter! I don't think I could keep it together for 5 five-shot groups. But it will give me something to strive for.

obviously not. Look at number 3! That is all me.

yes it is challenging. I think it is exceptional practice.

I am still waiting for my beloved rifle to come back from the doctor. when it gets here I may have to work up loads again and revert to my late teens when I shot 4 position NRA gallery shoot.

If I do that, I know I will be absolutely spent after shooting 5 perfect rounds at each of 5 different targets.

I doubt I have the mental strength or physical strength to do it.

May I take naps with my head on an unloaded rifle, sleep for 10 minutes or so, fire a shot, etc etc etc?

Maybe that kind of rule is in a different class.

Soon, very soon.

Why is your rifle at the doctor? I hope its pregnant, and will come back with at least one "youth model" offspring that is just a smaller lighter version of itself in tow :b.

And as far as naps go I think as long as its all on the same target and shot the same day, you could get Shiatsu massages between groups if you wanted.

hmmm.... maybe that should be SOP for rifle competitions, just tweak existing shooting benches to allow you to lay prone, and carve a hole for your face.
Thats one way to make the shooting sports more popular!

My rifle is a DPMS GII .308 Hunter.
The rifle is so accurate I will be almost heart broken if the barrel needs to be changed.

I am having problems with the chamber area, pierced primers, one round fires fine with no marks, the next one **** near blows up, marks on the case head and it all really started getting serious with FGMM 168's.

Once I pierced the first primer the rifle just went to crap. I replaced the firing pin straight away($34.99 w/o shipping) fired one more round, looked at the empty, fine.

I fired one more round and pierced another primer and jacked my last firing pin(another $34.99 w/o shipping) and called it quits.

I hope to have a fully functioning rifle back next week. We will see.

My own handloads fired very well, but, being a man I decided to see how good the FGMM really was, hence the reason I bought the stuff. My bad.

I did a 5 group 5 shot target a few years ago with my Mini 14. It is not as good as some ARs but it holds it's own. I have done a few tricks to it, to make it shoot this good but nothing major. Most mini's do suck but they can be made to shoot pretty good.

I am assuming those black circles are 1" and the bullseye is .5" is that right?

If so thats pretty darn good for a mini, of course you have that one flier group which is also very Mini14

I am assuming those black circles are 1" and the bullseye is .5" is that right?

If so thats pretty darn good for a mini, of course you have that one flier group which is also very Mini14
Yep the black is 1 inch. One thing about the fliers it is either me or the gun LOL :) I missed the last two coyote's at around 200 yards. After the first miss I put up a target and it was shooting 6 inches high. I reset the scope. The next coyote I missed him and checked the scope it was shooting low. I got mad and have not shot it sense. It might be the scope or the mount, I have not checked it. It is probably the scope. I do carry it behind my seat of the truck a lot.

In my experience with mini 14's although limited to 3, a 186 series .223 a 189 series 7.62 (although I guess that is a mini 30 not 14, whatever) and a .223 Ranch Rifle, those guns are capable of good accuracy, they just have horrible consistency, you can shoot some very tight groups and then the same ammo and the same good trigger pulls you get a group 2-3 times the size, then it will shrink again. The mini 30 never grouped well but I only shot golden bear ammo out of it so I suspect it was the ammo more than anything

I suspect you are falling victim to the already erratic behavior of the mini and a shifting mount or just a tired beat up scope with very weak erector assemble springs, or maybe the vibration from the truck is just too much for them if its a fairly new scope.

I would pull the scope off and shoot groups with Irons and see if what sort of pattern you get with that
Even though the Mini;s Ive shot have had very inconsistent groups they were all at my POA just bigger, if you are going from high to low in just a few hours its got to be the scope and the mount

I shot this rifle for a couple of years with no problem. Always shot good. Then all of a sudden the scope got out of wack. Instead of trying to find out what is wrong I just grabbed another rifle. I will get on it. I have other toy's to play with. I put it in the safe to teach it a lesson. Not to miss Coyote's LOL:) I did have a couple of scopes go bad on another mini. One was an old K4 weaver,with a dot, the cross hair broke and a Tasco that had a broken lens inside. I know the mini's are ruff on scopes. It is a weaver on this one. Here are some 200 yard groups with the 188 Mini 000_0046.jpg

I'm in but I'll have to what another 5 weeks till my barrel gits here then work up a load an see if my home assembled 80% lower crosshill side charge upper and xcaliber barrel will hold 1moa.

Late to the party but work has me busy. So here is my new 300 blk. Im shooting 100 gr CEB over lil gun. First three were great fourth still good then I got to worked up over how good. This was only my second or third later just loaded to mag length and was just doing powder. Still more work to come. But cant complain.

Attachments

• NCM_0114.jpg
    NCM_0114.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 73
Rcoody

I included a photo of my last go at your challenge at under MOA it's not as good as your posting very impressive shooting. I just installed a Geissele trigger in my 6.5 Creedmoor chambered AR yesterday if I get time this week I,ll give your challenge a go with that rifle. I to considered locktighting the barrel into the upper I have not done it yet but I may try it. On the Creedmoor I used a .002 feeler gauge wrapped around the barrel extension to remove all play between the barrel and upper reciever seemed to work well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 77
Late to the party but work has me busy. So here is my new 300 blk. Im shooting 100 gr CEB over lil gun. First three were great fourth still good then I got to worked up over how good. This was only my second or third later just loaded to mag length and was just doing powder. Still more work to come. But cant complain.

Also if anyone was wondering about palmetto uppers hope this help. Its a palmetto been lower with a tac con trigger and just a palmetto16 inch upper. Might be my bullets though cause im finding CEB are super easy to get accuracy out of.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.