MOA and Clicks

mww89

My rifle has been sighted in at 100 yards and the target is at 500 yards. If each click of elevation is 1/4 MOA and the the estimated MOA adjustment to bring the zero to 500 yards is 9.95 MOA, how many clicks what that be? Just trying to understand the math. Thank you.

mww89,

As you get more into "dialing" your scope it will really help you to forget about thinking in "inches" and "clicks". Think only in "MOA" and "1/4 MOA".

Your scope turret will be numbered 1-10 (probably) though some will be 1-15 or other..... does not really matter but I will use 1-10 for my examples.

Each number is an increase of an MOA, there will be 4 "clicks" or 1/4 moa between each number.

At 100 yards, an moa is 1", at 200 an moa is 2"......... at 1000 an moa is 10" and so on.....

At 400 yards for example since an MOA is 4", each 1/4 MOA "click" is 1"

Now when you look at your dial up chart or ballistics program and it tells you to dial up 22 moa for a 1000 yard shot you are not wondering how many "clicks" is that? You simply reach up and spin your turret through two complete revolutions and stop at "2". No counting how many "clicks" (88) or how many inches (220) is that?

A practical example is when you are out spotting for a buddy and he puts one over the back of an elk at 800 yards, you don't mess around with inches and clicks. You tell him he needs to come down 1 1/2 moa. He can reach up make a quick adjustment and take the shot. Much more simple than telling him he needs to come down 12 inches and trying to do the math in his head in the heat of the moment to come up with how many "clicks" is that.

When practicing, just get in the habit of measuring your targets in MOA's and 1/4 MOA and it will will not take long until "inches" and "clicks" are no longer a part of your vocabulary. Your non long range shooting buddies will look at you funny when you mention shooting a 1/2 moa group at 500 yards, but you will know that is 2 1/2". Good luck and good shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.