Clicks, I hate clicks.

Do you have the "Culver" model Harrells'? I have 3 Culver measures and 1 Harrells'. I have been able to use them all, over the past 20 years, without any noticeable difference. Maybe you need to send yours back to Harrell and have it worked on.

Doced,
I do have the Harrel's culver style measure, but I really dont think mine needs to be sent back as it functions perfectly. I doubt my friend would have his modified, I think he won a few super shoots using it, and is probably attached to it.

I do think that clicks are fairly arbitrary and that clicks on one measure do not necessarily match clicks on another measure, although they are probably within several tenths if using the same graduations. (I think there are measures that give 1/2 clicks, 1/4 clicks and 1/10 clicks) Clicks on scopes are just as arbitrary. (1 moa 1/2 moa 1/4 moa 1/8 moa)

Now, when my friend tells me x number of clicks on his measure I simply drop that charge from his measure and weigh it. Then when I use my measure I weigh the charges until I find the number of clicks on my measure. The name of the post is "Clicks,I hate clicks." I assumed from my reading that the reason clicks were hated was because they are arbitrary. I am just noting another arbitrary use of "clicks". The problem is solved by relying on a standardized measurement.

Under stand that I am talking about a small difference in the charge weight, probably a tad under a grain to a grain on ppc size charges. (It could be more or less accurate for larger or smaller charges, I dont know because I am kind of a newbie, and cant even figure out exactly how the culver style measures work....and I am not taking mine apart to figure it out.)

Maybe someone should experiment to determine whether all clicks are even designed to be created equal and should become a standard measure. From my very limited experiance, I say there is a measurable difference between "clicks", at least from the two measures that I have dealt with the most. I would note that I did find one internet load which listed a load in both clicks and weight in grains, which mirrored the clicks on my measure, but I assume that the person who posted the load was using a less than twenty year old original culver.

Tell me what percentage of a grain your clicks are and I will compare them to a couple of other clicks on other measures and then I will know whether there is a problem with my measure.

Out of curiosity I called Don Geraci to ask whether clicks were a standard size after I had typed all of the above. It is his opinion that they are not, and are only meant as a reference for your own loads on your own measure. I value his opinion very much, but know that no one is infallable. I come here only to learn and respect your opinion also, but out of an abundance of caution will continue to believe that "clicks" have an arbitrary nature.
I cant remember the exact load that I got from him in clicks for my 6PPC, but it was enough of a difference in the charge weight to open the groups up, but not enough to cause pressure signs.

There was a comedian one time talked about being out in the sticks and asking for directions;
Well, you go down the road 3-C's(see's)...
How far is 3 "C's"?
Well, you go down the road as far as you can "see", then do it two more times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian, Did you get an answer about the cougar? I've tried a few "ideas" that have worked OK that could pass on if you are still looking.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.