scope clicks

If your scope has 1/4 MOA turrets, it will require 4 clicks to adjust your point of impact approximately 1 inch at 100 yards. The same number of clicks will move you twice as far at 200 yards, 3 times as far at 300 yards, etc.

If you take the tangent of the inverse of 60 and multiply it by the number of inches to the target, you can then multiply by the adjustment you have made to your scope in Minutes of Angle and it will tell you how far you will be adjusting your aim at a given distance.

For example, Tangent(1/60) * 3600 (the number of inches in 100 yards) = 1.047 * 1 = 1.047. This means that a 1 MOA adjustment will move you 1.047 inches at 100 yards. If you replace the 3600 with 7200 (the number of inches in 200 yards), you get 2.094 inches at 200 yards.

[ 09-08-2004: Message edited by: Newbie_71 ]

cg

Newbie is just trying to confuse you. He likes to do that for some reason.

Look at it this way : 4 clicks will move the bullet 1" at 100 yards. 4 clicks will move the bullet 2" at 200 yards. 4 clicks will move the bullet 3" at 300 yards. And so on.

cheechako,

I said:

"If your scope has 1/4 MOA turrets, it will require 4 clicks to adjust your point of impact approximately 1 inch at 100 yards. The same number of clicks will move you twice as far at 200 yards, 3 times as far at 300 yards, etc."

And you said :

"Look at it this way : 4 clicks will move the bullet 1" at 100 yards. 4 clicks will move the bullet 2" at 200 yards. 4 clicks will move the bullet 3" at 300 yards. And so on."

You're right, my description was so much more confusing.

The additional part where I elaborated and provided that massively complex mathematical formula that could be performed on a simple, hand-held calulator in (literally) less than 3 seconds must have overwhlemed everyone except you and me.

I'm sure cgsafaris understood my post as did the rest of the forum.

Newbie - I know what a MOA is and I also know what a jerk is. People like you for example. These forums provide a service to shooters and gunowners in search of information, suggestions and advice. Unfortunately there are always a few individuals out there who use them as a way to play their little mind games or whatever it is you get out of your shows of pompousness. I have read your posts on this, and other, forums and usually regard them for what they are - garbage. I suppose you're part of the price we pay for freedom. So Newbie or Noobie or whatever else you will call yourself, keep them coming. We're all smart enough to sort them out.

cheechako,

When you find yourself unable to respond to the point of the conversation, you simply resort to calling me a jerk? Ad hominem attacks are easy aren't they?

Let's back up and stay with the ACTUAL topic of the conversation.

"cgsafaris" went to "The Basics, starting out" Forum and asked a legitmate question regarding the effects of the scope adjustments at various ranges.

I did my best to provide an answer. If the answer was incorrect, please show me how. As to your claim that I was simply trying to "confuse" him is conerned, let's take a look again.

I said :

"If your scope has 1/4 MOA turrets, it will require 4 clicks to adjust your point of impact approximately 1 inch at 100 yards. The same number of clicks will move you twice as far at 200 yards, 3 times as far at 300 yards, etc."

You said basically the same thing:

"Look at it this way : 4 clicks will move the bullet 1" at 100 yards. 4 clicks will move the bullet 2" at 200 yards. 4 clicks will move the bullet 3" at 300 yards. And so on."

How is what I said any more confusing when we both said the same thing? Is it the fact that I attempted to afterwards elaborate and show him how he could calculate any MOA shot placement effects at varying distances by providing a SIMPLE formula that can be performed on a $5 calculator in (literally) less than three seconds? How dare I!

Are you implying that I was attempting to take credit for inventing the formula? It's used by TONS of shooters everyday. You evidently assuming that "cgsafaris" was confused by my post and needed your help to explain it is, if anything, an insult to his intelligence. I'm sure he understood it and I'm sure we all did.

Now, if it was incorrect, please show me how.

Boys, in your corners
rolleyes.gif

Newbie 71:

Sure, technically your post was correct. I'm thinking that the bone of contention was when you start throwing in the mathematical formulae and so many inches per hundred yards, etc. Still technically correct, but if all the guy wants to know is how many clicks to move the POI an inch at any given range, it is a bit overkill. Not a bad idea for the OP to be able to figure out how to do it himself, by any means. You just came across wrong for some reason, that's all.

Monte

thanks for All of the help. but no need to get mad at any body ever one was doing what they felt was right. i like this forum but just don't turn it in to name calling place like most other forums are. we are all here for the same reason to have fun

cg - You are right. I hope you got the info you needed in figuring out those clicks. I have been shooting a long time and I know it's easy to get confused when shooting at longer distances. More than once I clicked the wrong way - it happens to everybody.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.