MOA to Clicks

Retusmce7

Im old school shooter from the Mid 80's as far as comp shooting and for 21 years even as a rifle range instructor we talked Clicks.Of course we were shooting 500 yards with iron sights on a M16 and just hitting black was good. Here is my delimma
Im use to clicks for long shots. i have killed deer at 500 yards knowing the bullet drop and making adjustments on the scope.
can someone give me a basic answer to the differance between clicks and MOA?
If i know a bullet from a 7 mag drops 22 inches at 500 yards from a 200 yard zero and i click up 8 clicks and kill the deer what would it have been in MOA and can i still shoot 1000 yard using clicks.
we didnt even use MOA at Division sniper school
help

MOA is an abbreviation for Minute Of Angle, which is 1/60th of 1 degree and there are 360 degrees in a circle. 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1.0472". Many confuse MOA with Inches Per Pundred Yards or IHPY. Your scope (unless Metric) adjusts in either MOA or IPHY and the click are 4 clicks to 1 MOA or IPHY. Most scopes adjust in IPHY. The only scope that I am 100% sure adjusts in MOA is Nighforce.

If your scope adjust in IPHY don't think in 22" of drop at 500 yards but think in IPHY, which is 4.4 inches per hundred yards 17.5 clicks

Clicks vs MOA

One thig to check is you scope marked at every full MOA. If you scope is 1/4 inche per click then is it marked with a number or a Bold longer line every 4th line? If it is switching to counting moa makes it faster to adjust. Instead of counting the clicks you would just count every bold line or ever number.

THe example you gave. 4.2 moa---Move it 4 larger numbers and one click. (I rounded .2moa to .25). You can check it by counting every click like you are use to, but it should be the same.

The reseaon I switched is because it is easier. if you have to come up 80 click or 20 MOA. Making sure you count to 80 is more of a pain than 20. ANd trying to get back to your Zero.

In the LR game it could mean a miss if you assume that just because your scope is marked "1/4 inch" or "1/4 MOA" that it really is that exact marking. Even the best ones do not always click exactly as marked! I have seen some all the way to .275 inches and that is more than enough for a miss at 1000.

You need to do some serious testing of YOUR scope with a measured distance (say 20-30" )at 100 yds and see exactly how many clicks does it take to go that distance. You have to have the gun pretty well locked in so it will not move except the reticle as you make the adjustments.

Second many scopes in going up a few clicks will not release the erector tube and go up as you are normaly taking tension off. So when you shoot you are low, but the recoil releases and then you click on a few extra and are now high.

It is good practice to go past five clicks and then click back down to the exact spot.

NF and SB are normally not prone to this little flaw, but Leups sure will get it.

BH

One Minute of Angle is 1.0472" per hundred yards. So one Minute of angle at 500 yards exactly 5.236 inches. Many simply say 1 inch per hundred yards and 5 inches at 5 hundred yards and this is fine until it is compounded. example if one needs 25 minutes of angle correction at 1,000 yards that is a correction of 261.8 inches. A correction of 25 inces per hundred yards (IPHY) is 250 inches an correction difference of 16.8 inches a significant amount of difference.. Many scopes adjust in IPHY and a few of them adjust in true Minutes Of Angle, such as Nightforce..

I've always been an MOA guy....in just 1 day of shooting with a NF that was MIL/MIL I was liking the MIL/MIL much more than the MOA/MIL that I had always ran before.

IMHO if the reticle is MOA then the turrets should be MOA. If the reticle is MILLS the the turrets should be MILlS

jwp, I'm the same "Brad Arnett" who hit you up for a dummy round for the 25-284 last fall on SH....Blake hooked me up with one...grin.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.