How Many Clicks

FlinchedAgain

Hi everyone Im relatively new here, but am learning a lot really fast.
Im currently doing some load development for my 300 Rem Ultra Mess, and have made an untested drop chart using my ballistics programme, according to what it says is that in order to get from my 300 yd zero to 1000 yds I need to allow for a 20.5 moa drop and was wondering how many clicks of the scope that is and whats the easiest way to work this out, I realize its probably quite simple, but hey long time no school.
Many Thanks, Callum

It will depend on what unit your scope uses. If it's 1/4 MOA(.25) per click, then it would equate out to 4 clicks per MOA. Most scopes are 1/4 minute clicks. If you read the turrets it will tell you. It may be labeled at 1/4 inch, which for the sake of argument is 1/4 MOA. 1 MOA at 100yards is roughly 1.047 inches. If it says 1/4 inch at 100yrds, then it is basically 1/4 MOA per click. So for 20.5 MOA you would need to dial in 82 clicks. While I am in no way and expert, not even close, depending on the scope you are using you may not have enough adjustment range to reach this point, depending on your scope and how much travel you used up zero'n your rifle.

Also, you should try testing your drop chart at lesser ranges to verify before you try moving it out that far. Not all PC generated drop charts are gonna be 100% correct all the time. In my short experience, they never are. Need to kinda work the kinks out as you step up in target distance. Otherwise your going to burn a whole lot of ammo. As the old timers around where I hunt say, There is a lot more air around them, then there is in them =)

On a side note, I'm sure one of the much more knowledgable guys on this board will pipe in and give a correct explanation....

Thanks Guys, thats pretty much what I thought maybe Im not so dumb afterall, yes Ill definately be making a real time drop chart as soon as I sort my loads out, Stupid Nosler cases grumble grumble, Case head expansion grumble grumble, but its a mild load grumble grumble.
thanks again.

If you need 20.5 MOA then this equates to 214.676 inches of drop at 1000 yards. If your scope adjusts in MOA then simply dial in 20.5 MOA (82 Clicks). If your scope adjusts in Inches Per Hundred Yards (IPHY and most do) then you need 85.75 clicks . If your scope adjusts in IPHY and you dial in 82 clicks then you have only accounted for 205 Inches of drop at 1000 yards and you need to account for 214.676 Inches making your adjustment off by about 14.676 inches..

Im not sure, The scope is a Leupold vx3 6.5-20x50 LRT, The owners manual states that the increments are 1/4 moa but then it says that 1moa = 1 inch at 100 yards which is not exactly right.

Not exactly but pretty close. Another thing to save time, don't think clicks. Think M.O.A, Don't sit there and count 82 clicks . Dial by the minute. Yes, your scope has alot of adjustment if its a Leupold LR series.

Flinchedagain,

MOA = 1.047 inches at 100 yds.

I "think" you scope is IPHY or inches per 100 yards.

Which would equate to 10.47 inches at 1000yds vs 10 inches at that distance.

Kind of a nerdy response but I think that way.:rolleyes:

Not exactly but pretty close. Another thing to save time, don't think clicks. Think M.O.A, Don't sit there and count 82 clicks . Dial by the minute. Yes, your scope has alot of adjustment if its a Leupold long range series.

I am confident that his scope adjust in IPHY and not in MOA. There is a huge difference in 20.5 MOA and 20.5 IPHY at 1000 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.