Mix and Match die use

winmagman

Any body using brand x sizer with brand y seater or vise versa? Or do you always buy in sets? Any forseeable problems or benefits with mixing and matching?

Just doing a little die shopping and it got me to wondering.

Chris

My seater dies are usually Forster or Redding and the sizers could be either RCBS, Forster, or Redding. I plan to try the Lee collet neck die on the 25-06 in near future so that group of dies could really be a bastard set.

Whatever works.. I use the Lee 3-die set, however very little do I use the 'FL' sizer. I neck size only and use a Redding body die for the 25-06. This combo works well for me, havent felt the need to change it in the least.. I could potentially get a diff seater die, but no need to..

I done "mix and match" for a long time. Purchase a new set for a new caliber (Man, I haven't done that for a long time now!) Then, as I get a chance to pick up a different set, I keep the keepers and sell the losers.

I make casts of my chambers and compare the casts to my FL sizers, or at least to the cases sized by them. Those dies that (1) best match my chamber and (2) make the straightest necks are keepers.

Used to try seaters that way too but in recent years I've just gone to Forster BR seaters, saves time and I never lose.

Neck sizing is always done with a Lee Collet die, period.

Accuracy cases that are FL sized are ONLY expanded with a Lyman "M" type expander, I no longer use conventional expander balls. Not since I got a concentricity gage anyway!

Crimping, if any, is with a Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD).

Chris,
Nothing at all wrong with mixing & matching equipment. In time, you're likely to find that company X makes the best size die for your use, while company Y has a better seater. And while I'm not a huge fan of Lee, their factory crimp dies are the best that I've ever seen, and about the only ones I'll use if I absolutely have to crimp. Stuff changes, too. Just because company A has the best of a particular itme today, doesn't mean that one of their competitors won't come up with something better at some point in the future. This game is in a constant state of change and that's part of what keeps it interesting.

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

"In time, you're likely to find that company X makes the best size die for your use, while company Y has a better seater."

Mr. Thomas, I understand your point but I haven't found that to be true. On average, I HAVE found about as much variation between dies of the same caliber from the same maker as there I have between brands.

It seems no brand has a lock on being made to "tighter tolerances" than others. In fact, it seems all makers vary within the full range of tolerances allowed by the SAAMI standards. Ditto with our chambers. So, getting the best match of dies, either sizers or seaters, to a specific firearm is pure chance. I measure the fit and select the best I can find, the brand being irrelivant. At least to me. :)

My Sako 22-250 sure loves you guys 36 gr. Varmint Grenades! Me too.

Last edited:
Another technique is to buy a Redding body bump die($25) and send it to JLC Precision, Jim Carstenson and for $80 he will convert it to FL size die with bushings custom honed to your chamber.

He needs 10 pieces of 2x fired brass and turn around is about 2-3 weeks door to door.

I use his FI bushing dies a lot now and Forester Micro seaters for Wilson inline seaters.

He is on www.6mmbr.com under the tools section.

BH

In my fav cartridges I've been using a lee collet die, redding body die, and forster seater. Been working really sweet for me but can sure see how nice that customized die would be.

Generally speaking, I find that no one set of dies fit every situation even in the same caliber. I use whatever gives the best results for the rifle, which takes owning multiple dies (even in the same caliber). I do find that the Forster floating dies gives pretty good results even with their expander ball (minimal runout). But the results on these dies are based on a "floating" die instead of a fixed 7/8-14 die thread, so clearly multiple factors can affect your decision. Dies are fairly cheap, so mix and match and let the data tell you if your combo is correct. Handloading is both a science and an art

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts