Hornady Match grade die help

I had similar issues with my hornady match grade 280AI dies. When I set it up as the instructions I crushed the necks to the shoulder. I back it out with about 3 threads in the press and just used the micro adjustments to seat the bullets. Works fine with no issues. Loaded a 100 or so rds since with no issue. My press in a 30 yr old RCBS rock chucker and I'm guessing they just don't fit the Hornady match grades very well.

You may have got a seating die for a 7-08 inadvertently. Hornady does make them in different lengths I think. I have a set in 7mmRM and the die screws down much farther in the press so that the micrometer seater is around 4. Check the seating plug and verify that it is for 7mm bullets and not something smaller. Also you can put a spacer between the die body and the micrometer and raise it up so you can screw it down farther. But you can't screw the die down farther because of the crimping feature.

Plinker,

That's the press I have as well. Although mine is only 13 years old. Hope it makes another 17!
That Rock Chucker press will last a lifetime. Mine is over 30 years old and still like new. I have no idea how many cases have been reloaded on my press, but if I had to guess it has at least a hundred thousand rounds or more through it. Just keep pulling the handle and don't worry! Little dry line from time to time will keep it running smooth.

The proper way to adjust the seating die is put a case in the shell holder and run it all the way to the top with the die screwed out. Then screw the die in until i touches the mouth of the case. Then back it out 1 full turn Then adjust the seating stem. I use the Lee seating die because it is made to touch the shell holder and I get much more consistent seating with this design. I made an adapter to use the Hornady Micrometer seating adjuster on the Lee Seating Die and it works wonderfully.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts