Minimum Suggested Powders to Have for ALL classic Cartridges

asd9055

Has anyone ever compiled a list of the minimum powders to keep on hand to cover ALL the classic Cartridges? No crartridges created in the 21st century, no wildcats or improved. Just the standard Remington, Winchester, H&H and WBY Cartridges of the 20th Century. I am just thinking ahead, for the next component shortage!

Edit to include the Classic Magnum Calibers!

Thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone ever compiled a list of the minimum powders to keep on hand to cover ALL the classic Cartridges? No crartridges created in the 21st century, no wildcats or improved. Just the standard Remington, Winchester, H&H and WBY Cartridges of the 20th Century. I am just thinking ahead, for the next component shortage!

Thanks
Following this - I have the venerable .30-06 and the nostalgic 6.5x55 Swede. I have only used H4831SC on both with very good results. I

Last edited:
Yes it will. Are there better for more velocity? Sure, and I was using one powder to work in the most cartridges. EDIT....AND NORMALLY IT IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO STOCK UP WITH.

Last edited:
Yes it will. Are there better for more velocity? Sure, and I was using one powder to work in the most cartridges. EDIT....AND NORMALLY IT IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO STOCK UP WITH.
Wouldn't H4831 cover more cartridges? I dont have the answers, I posted to learn!

Wouldn't H4831 cover more cartridges? I dont have the answers, I posted to learn!
the "60% reduced load" ability of the h4895 , covers alot from 17 hornet through 50 browning machine gun

if you go to hodgdon rifle data and pick , 300 Winchester magnum then dont check a bullet weight, check hodgdon powders , then check h4895 only .... leave hodgdon an h4895 checked but change the cartridge from 300 winchester magnum to " something into the drop down list" ... it will amaze you how versatile it is

the "60% reduced load" ability of the h4895 , covers alot from 17 hornet through 50 browning machine gun

if you go to hodgdon rifle data and pick , 300 Winchester magnum then dont check a bullet weight, check hodgdon powders , then check h4895 only .... leave hodgdon an h4895 checked but change the cartridge from 300 winchester magnum to " something into the drop down list" ... it will amaze you how versatile it is
That's why I love this side! I learn something every day! Thanks!

I'm probably considered "old school" by many........but I have used Varget on everything from .223 Rem to 35 Whelan with good results. Other powders will give better results in some calibers and barrel lengths, but if I had to stock only one powder, it would be Varget.

Edit to include the Classic Magnum Calibers!

Thanks
Well, I keep Unique, W231 and IMR 4064 on hand at all times. Unique is perfect for shotgun and many handgun loads. W231 is also great for standard and magnum pistol loads. Imr 4064 is my riffle powder. I'm sure there are many other pet loads out there that requier other powders but, I seem to get by very well with those three powders and have for many years.