How to find a MINIMUM powder charge

smithjasona1978

I bought a pound of RE33 while doing load development for my .300WBY. I used about 1/3 of it but I can't get any speed out of it. Just too slow. Should have tried RE25. Anyway im done with load development. Going with 86.5 grains of Ramshot Magnum and 208 ELD-M.
Anyway I want to use up the RE33 for fire forming and fouling shots I guess.
There is plenty of information on how to find the max load. But how do I find a minimum load to use for fouling shots and fireforming? No need to waste it after all.

With a workup load your primers protrude from the base of the case until the chamber pressures is great enough to force the case against the bolt face.

Meaning light loads would not form the case to the chambers headspace dimensions.

Example, with my 30-30 Winchester at 38,000 cup or 42,000 psi the primers always protrude from the rear of the case.

Bottom line, fire forming loads need enough chamber pressure to make the base of the case stretch to meet the bolt face. And if the chamber pressure is not high enough the fired cases will still have excessive head clearance.

HK76WCp.jpg

The only methods I know of to solve this would be a false shoulder or jamming your bullets into the rifling to keep the rear of the case against the bolt face.

I bought a pound of RE33 while doing load development for my .300WBY. I used about 1/3 of it but I can't get any speed out of it. Just too slow. Should have tried RE25. Anyway im done with load development. Going with 86.5 grains of Ramshot Magnum and 208 ELD-M.
There is plenty of information on how to find the max load. But how do I find a minimum load to use for fouling shots and fireforming? No need to waste it after all.

Start with the listed starting load, and then work down in small steps until you don't get completely formed cases - it is easy.

Light doses of slow powder can be very dangerous. Save it for another magnum or use it in a .264 with 140 grainers. Some are getting 3,300 with no pressure signs.

Light doses of slow powder can be very dangerous. Save it for another magnum or use it in a .264 with 140 grainers. Some are getting 3,300 with no pressure signs.

In his first book P.O Ackley warns about light loads of slow powders blowing up actions.

Good luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.