Minimum Powder Charge Help

If manual says 42grain in 243 or 308 how mutch minimum at least i load the charge?

42 .

if you load less than that, you are increasing the air in the case. This causes pressure spikes. If the powder is too low, you will explode the rifle.

Before the armchair ninjas pounce , let me say that if you want to, or do have have air in your rifle cases, please just go on quietly and spare the debate.

It's my policy to have little to no air in a rifle case. Dacron is your friend. For example, 1 grain of dacron fills my 500 Jeffery case when I use 100 grains of IMR 4166.

Weigh the dacron on an electronic scale. In a 308, 0.5 grains of dacron goes far. If you shake a loaded round, ideally you should not hear the powder rattling.

So if you want to go under 42, fill the space with dacron. Dacron is the polyester fluff in cushions and pillows. Ask your wife nicely for an old one.

Even though powder may be hard to find, unless you can find specific load data for 844, like others I would not recommend using it.

Squib loads are very dangerous and must be avoided. As far as I know there are no hard rules about reducing the powder charge by a percentage because of different cartridge powder volumes that can effect burn rates.

Minimum loads listed are just that and it is recommended that you don't go below that for safety.
I have seen this in several wildcats that there was no data for and it acted like a double ignition and spooked me when it happened. I only loaded the minimum charge listed for the parent case and the larger volume of the chamber acted like a larger case volume and created the low case density condition So only one shot was fired Like this and the charge was increased to the middle of the chart loading.

I have found that If you are loading for a standard cartridge, use the minimum load listed for the bullet and work up. (Some barrel chamber Loaded cartridge will/can be max pressure even with this load) but you normally won't damage the firearm.

If I load for a wildcat I add the increase in powder volume to the charge listed, and if it is near the max, I reduce the bullet weight. (I am not recommending that this way you wont exceed pressures) but I have used it and remotely fired the rifle for safety and just in case.

The wasted powder is a small cost compared to the risk of blowing up a rifle and injuring your self
so throw it away If you cant find good data. 👍

J E CUSTOM

Going below recommended starting charges can be just as dangerous as over charging. Make sure you know exactly what powder you have and follow minimum charges to start working up to a good, safe load in your rifle.
The problem with a less than min is you can expose more powder to the flash of the Primer, possibly creating a flash over and excessive pressure as all the powder get ignited at 1 time and not as a progressive burn.

Hello
Thanx seniors for ur reviews..
Can some one tell the solution of my problem? My problem is this i m from Pakistan and reloading powder is not available here we only have option of wc844 and wc846...so i m trying to find some safe startup with these powder thats the issue

42 .

if you load less than that, you are increasing the air in the case. This causes pressure spikes. If the powder is too low, you will explode the rifle.

Before the armchair ninjas pounce , let me say that if you want to, or do have have air in your rifle cases, please just go on quietly and spare the debate.

It's my policy to have little to no air in a rifle case. Dacron is your friend. For example, 1 grain of dacron fills my 500 Jeffery case when I use 100 grains of IMR 4166.

Weigh the dacron on an electronic scale. In a 308, 0.5 grains of dacron goes far. If you shake a loaded round, ideally you should not hear the powder rattling.

So if you want to go under 42, fill the space with dacron. Dacron is the polyester fluff in cushions and pillows. Ask your wife nicely for an old one.
Very nice idea
Thanx

What manual do you have and what reloading equipment?

I recommend you spend quite a bit of time on this forum learning the process of reloading.

• Do you have a current reloading manual?
  • Find the cartridge and the type of bullet you intend to reload in your manual.
  • Find the powder and primer you have on hand or acquire from a local supplier.
  • Clean and prep your brass, a completely separate process.
  • Take a break and get back with the guys on the forum for more discussion.

No, do not load below the minimum.

Don't shy away from asking questions.

I recommend you spend quite a bit of time on this forum learning the process of reloading.

• Find the cartridge and the type of bullet you intend to reload in your manual.

Thanx sir..
I have Nosler Manual Came with Rcbs supreme master reloading kit and i have RCBS equipement...
2nd thing i m telling in my evrey reply but no one is reading i think...
I,ll tell u again in my Country Gun Powder is prohibted so we just have 1 option Puller surplus powder from Nato Ammo we Buy 1lot of ammo 7.62×51LC and 5.56LC and pulled powder out which is same react BLC 2 and H335...Many of my friends shooting without anyproblem with these powder i m just asking anyway about my minimum limit..thats it hope u understand now..
Your reply is highly appriciated
Regards

Even u wonder to listen we are using 7.62×54R pulled powder in magnum calibers 😉

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.