Milling "Windows" in magazine.

TheDerkster

Is there any reason not to mill slots in an AICS magazine so i can quickly see how many rounds I have left?

Reason being I hunt a lot and I tend to go through a lot of ammo so my idea is to mill half inch slots from top to bottom in the range that the cartridges will fit in. I can get a little carried away sometimes and forget how many times I shot so the convenience factor would be nice :)

Plus, then I put something along the lines of 1 deer dead, 2 deer, 3 deer, 4 deer.... :D

Is there any reason not to mill slots in an AICS magazine so i can quickly see how many rounds I have left?

Reason being I hunt a lot and I tend to go through a lot of ammo so my idea is to mill half inch slots from top to bottom in the range that the cartridges will fit in. I can get a little carried away sometimes and forget how many times I shot so the convenience factor would be nice :)

Plus, then I put something along the lines of 1 deer dead, 2 deer, 3 deer, 4 deer.... :D

I would limit the openings in the mags because they allow dirt and other debris to enter and cause a malfunction. If you need a tell tell opening I would recommend drilling one hole in the back of the mag (Small enough to see the case head but not cause any problems) to locate the number of rounds left or desired (4 or 5 should do it).

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM

I would limit the openings in the mags because they allow dirt and other debris to enter and cause a malfunction. If you need a tell tell opening I would recommend drilling one hole in the back of the mag (Small enough to see the case head but not cause any problems) to locate the number of rounds left or desired (4 or 5 should do it).

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM
I didn't think about that. Maybe some drilled right at where the primer pocket would sit and about 3/32 or so? 1/16 seems a little small but I could start with that

Cutting slots in the magazine of firearms goes back to the World War I. A FLOOP. A French machine gun that U.S.A. soldiers was issued had slots cut in magazines so you could see the shells. With the Winter rains France and Southern Germany it became a trench war. Many U.S soldiers died from these guns malfunctioning in fending off an enemy attack. Mud and dirt fowled the ammo in the clips and jammed the guns. Small holes in the back of a magazine may be ok every 5 rounds to allow a view.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.