Mini Milling Machines??

Blancoalex

Been thinking about getting a mini milling machine to put on garage workbench.
Any suggestion on makes and models?
Being mini I am sure really limits what I can do.

Thanks for any input you have to share.

Don't really know ,it just gives me "small" machine to play with at "city" house. We have dedicated machine shop at ranch, but I am only out there on weekends. Honing reloading die necks(if possible) ,make small gun parts, etc???

What are the hardest metals I would be able to machine and what would be some maximum cut depths ?

Thanks.,

I have used a Shoptask combo machine which is about 1,100 lbs and it barely holds a candle to a Bridgeport.

I've also used a copy of a Rong Fu column style mill drill which is a bit better for milling but lacking a knee sucks. It's about a 700 pound machine probably.

When you get in to the tiny stuff, it just has a really hard time absorbing vibration. Your cuts will have to be very light and miniature tooling can cost more than full sized but common R8.

If you want to drill tiny holes in circuit boards, tiny works but I don't know how much work they can do before I would get really frustrated.

Those from Little Machine Shop are higher quality Sieg clones.
I've had one of them for about 6 years now- they've got good power, but you're obviously limited in cutting ability due to lack of mass.
Mine is fitted with DRO's, it's perfect for accurate light work (even on steel) like D&T'ing scope bases and smaller projects.

Far as what you can do, depends on the model. I have the Hi-Torque Mini Mill (2/3 hp)- but if you want something with more capability at home the larger Bench Mill is a better choice; I'd have gotten that one instead if it were available when I bought mine.

Also check out Precision Matthews. They've got a nice line of reasonably priced, good quality Taiwanese-built machines- both lathes and millers.

Thanks tobnpr, appreciate the info. I will look at those, we in fact have PM mill at ranch shop. This little one just gives me something to tinker with it when in town.

I would like to learn to possibly hone FL sizing dies on it too!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts