Military surplus in a Remington 700VS .308

BIG DOG

Is it okay to run military surplus .308 ammo through my Remmy VS? I am wanting to get some inexpensive ammo to practice with.

All I would like to know is if military ammo will damage the chamber, or any other part of my rifle, but by everyone silence it is safe to use.

I'm not aware of any .308 old enough to have corrosive primers, so I can't see what harm it could possibly do.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not aware of any .308 old enough to have corrosive primers, so I can't see what harm it could possibly do.

[/ QUOTE ]Western Cartridge Company made some .308 Win. match ammo headstamped WCC58 with 200-gr. FMJ boattail bullets; round top corrosive primers were used. This stuff was made under military/OlympicTeam contracts and was packaged in white boxes with black print and had the caution about corrosive primers used. WCC may have made other .308 Win. ammo in the late 1950' with corrosive primers.

Best and most uniform .308 Win. cases ever made. Too bad it had corrosive primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.