military pea shooters

If the supply dry up cause our men and women need those supplys to finsh the mission I say let them have all of it. We sportsmen and tax payers can wait It may mean they come home to the thier loved ones or come home in a body bag

The way I read into Silvertip co's post, is that was in the 60's. I think all he was trying to say was that we never should have gone away from the real, proven, calibers, and its come full circle. They realised thier mistake. I think he's upset about the fact that our military has had thier head in the wrong place when it comes to effective performance. A 223 sounds like a wonderfull choice for laying down supressive fire, and/or gaining fire superiority, but what good does it do if they dont do the job when the bullets reach the target.
As Ive stated before Im out of my league when it comes to our service men, and the gear issued to them, as I have never been in. But I can tell you that NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE I have talked to on L/R/H would even think about griping if our boys needed all the 308's and 45's left in America, and furthermore, I know alot of guys would send thier own guns to our boys if it was needed. Myself included.
Now I cant speak for Silvertip Co, but I think you read his post ALL WRONG!
We all want them to be able to come back safe. And be able to do what's required of them while they are there with the right tools to keep them safe, and be effective.

It is not the caliber, it is the ammo!

The USMC just switched to the MK318 Mod 0 round from the M855.

The MK 318 is actually an open tip match round. No that is not against the Geneva convention either.

SOF has been using the 77 SMK for several years in their ammo too.

Rounds are designed to fragment and cause more damage, which is the desired and legal effect.

BH

During desert storm I allways carried a M-14 and a 45 onto the helo with me. If we got shot down I wanted man stopers not a gun that would not do the job. the 223 and 9mm are not my guns of choice for home protection, but the old 45 and a pump 12ga. is.

Bounty Hunter

You hit it on the head. Unfortunately its hard to get the 77gr SMKHP loads if your not in SOF. The 62 gr Green Tip rounds just don't get the job done. My first engagement took 7 rounds just to make the target fall. In another engagement an Enemy combatant soaked up 130 rounds from four US Soldiers before being incapacitated. That guy was obviously high but still. The 5.56 will do the job fine we just need a bullet that expands or fragments.

Bounty Hunter

You hit it on the head. Unfortunately its hard to get the 77gr SMKHP loads if your not in SOF. The 62 gr Green Tip rounds just don't get the job done. My first engagement took 7 rounds just to make the target fall. In another engagement an Enemy combatant soaked up 130 rounds from four US Soldiers before being incapacitated. That guy was obviously high but still. The 5.56 will do the job fine we just need a bullet that expands or fragments.

Dam dude *** 130 rounds, all upper torso hits too I bet:rolleyes:

+1 w/7 loader on the manstopper. To each his own but i'll take my M-14 and I know round for round the ammo's heavier, so what I've carried well over a 1000 rounds of belt fed for the M-60.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.