mile shooter

Sealesniper

One Mile…..Yes one mile

Last Sunday I was able to finally test my new rifle, a rifle that had been in the works for almost a year. Last January I requested of Dan's Custom Gun Service to build a mile plus shooter, with enough energy at a mile to ethically take a deer. The gun he recommended was a .338 Snipe Tac, and that is the gun he built for me.

I took possession of this beauty the last week of November with the task of finishing the barrel brake in. After a few hours of shooting and scrubbing, the barrel was ready for a little accuracy shooting at distance. My first opportunity to go shoot, was not in favorable conditions, not favorable to say the least. Last Sunday the winds were blowing out of the NNE in the low 20's MPH with gusts hitting the low 40's MPH. I was not optimistic but Dan Glover (the builder of my gun) commented that I needed to learn to shoot in the wind as not all conditions will be perfect when it is time to make the shot. So Dan and I took the 2 hour drive east to "The Big House" where we have the opportunity for long range shooting.

At 250 yards, the 300 grain Berger blew ½" holes through the ½" AR 500 Plate we were using as a gong. Yes, this round has some energy. It leaves the barrel with 6750 FPE and at a mile still has over 1300 FPE. To help us dope the wind, I brought ply wood sheets painted white to install behind the target, but because of the wind we were only able to install one horizontally.

Once sighted in at 250 yards, with the wind coming off at the 8:30 position, we backed up to 1000 yards to test our abilities and programs on the 24" square plate. Three shots were fired, and a nice group was formed on the plate….

We then decided to go for it all, and backed up to 1760 yards….verified by Dan's Terrapin range finder and truck odometer. We doped the scope and let one fly…it was hard right but level with the black dot in the center of the plate. (I should note that I was using a Bulls Eye camera system so we could immediately see what our bullet was doing at a mile, without having to drive to visually see after each shot. A review of this awesome system will be posted after a few more tests are performed). We doped for more windage and sent another, but it was now on the upwind side of the plate. The winds were playing havoc with our bullet, and why not, at 72 feet of drop and 23 feet of windage, the air gusts and winds had over 2.5 seconds to redirect our bullet. We doped the Night Force ATACR once more and waited for the gusts to stop and the winds to be steady and I shot two more down range. One hit 4" from the bottom of the plate, the other hit 6" from the top of the plate, but almost straight in line with each other vetically. They were less than 14" apart at a mile in very windy and gusty conditions, in a wide open field….I can't wait to go shoot this rifle when conditions are optimal, and test the BullsEye system to it limit.

Sealesniper

Sure. 375 brass fire formed and necked for 338. 300 grain Berger in .338 loaded in front of 215 primer lighting 138 grains of H50BMG.

Can you also share barrel twist, length and velocity.
Do you just use bushings in the snipetac die to neck down?
Not that I'd be concerned about it but is barrel life expected to be about 7-800?
Thanks

Sure. 375 brass fire formed and necked for 338. 300 grain Berger in .338 loaded in front of 215 primer lighting 138 grains of H50BMG.

You had me scratching my head with this comment..i was thinking 375 WBY or 375 H&H. Forgot about the 375-408 case.

NOW I get it!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts