Might join the PRS / NRL22 group. Need help

Contact the match director, most will go out of their way to get a new shooter some assistance. Let him know soon as he may know of another shooter close to you that would help you get dope. Familiarize yourself with and practice the safety rules, sky loading and flagging are most common mistakes. Typically everyone I have run into at these type matches are very supportive of helping new shooters. Most will offer for you to try almost any of their gear. Don't rush to buy what you don't have, go try some different bags etc. to see what feels better to you. Have fun.

I shot the Mason Dixon series for a few years when I was in the dc area. At that time there were several very good shooters and you can learn a lot. Personally I found the matches at Gap and Mayberry more challenging than matches I've shot at other venues. At that time, they were not using targets on posts, only straps. It really favored lighter cartridges. Also all the stages are shot on the same range bay. The targets were just hung to the side of the range backers. When I started I frequently got lost going between targets for a given stage. Even after a couple years I still would do it at least once a match.

Overall good matches and a good series. Don't get discouraged, your skills will be improved.

I shot in a WPR match (PRS regional series) about a month ago. I used a loaner rifle, that the organization had. I showed up with a Kestrel and 140 rounds of ammo. I was able to make hits past 1k yards using data from my Kestrel. The other competitors allowed me to borrow a bag and tripod when necessary and helped me out with tips and tricks the whole time. It was a lot of fun and both humbling and confidence building at the same time. I'd shot longer rangers, but before that day I hadn't even seen the rifle I was using. I checked zero and got a velocity, someone let me borrow their garmin xero, I plugged that number into my kestrel and was off. The first stage was very difficult for me, but progressing on to the rest of the match it got much better. Towards the end I cleaned a stage and then made a first round hit at 1060 on one of the stages. I'm definitely going back, I'll be ordering parts for a rifle here really shortly.

Last edited:
The targets were just hung to the side of the range backers. When I started I frequently got lost going between targets for a given stage. Even after a couple years I still would do it at least once a match.

That can happen especially with new shooters who are powered up too high on their scope and lose FOV. Dialing down power, as you don't need to be on max, and using reference points on the range help this not happen as often. Also looking over the elevation turret at the target and then dropping on the scope helps get you on target also especially after changing positions.

Glad you signed up.

The hardest part for me for my first PRS event was getting on the first target of the stage once I got in to position. Mostly because I'd forget to set parallax first. LOL.

Usually, during the zero session, someone will have a chronograph. So you can plug in that info in to a ballistic solver to get dope. You will need to know your scope height over bore for your rifle. So measure that now. It would be best if you can zero your rifle at 100 and get the ammo you plan to use chrono'd ,now at your home range. It will change slightly between your home range and the match range though, but close enough to at least get started.

The other thing I learned quickly, is that getting behind a rifle on a bench is way easier and faster than holding everything until a beep goes off, and then trying to build a stable position with you rifle on a rope. LOL.

Practice that part now. Get a 22lr rifle and go to your range and place targets in varying places and practice getting in to position and acquiring that target.

Your best plan should be to find a PRS 22 or NRL 22 event in your area and sign up.

You will most likely time out on most stages. Don't worry about it. Slow impacts are way way way better than fast misses. So hit what you can, and don't worry about clearing a stage.

I shoot NRL22 at Oakdale Gun Club in MN.

I am still pretty bad at the game but it is still a ton of fun.

We are lucky because we frequently have some of the top shooters in the nation and world shooting NRL22 at our club.

It is the most inviting group of shooters you will encounter.

At any match a new shooter can get help and advice from shooters who are more experienced. Help in the form of advice and gear.

As with most technical topics here, there is a ton of good information which you can apply to your learning curve. Your best bet though, as stated several times, is to get to as many matches as you can and shoot. Most competition shooters are exceedingly willing to help anyone willing to learn. PRS shooters are no different, they will mentor and offer guidance as long as you are willing to listen and learn. See the match director(s) for some help. The GAP Grind is now a famous format for those without experience looking to learn about that style of competition. It pairs the amateur with a 'Pro' shooter for the entire match. You shoot and score separately but the Pro is there to help with the rules and techniques. It is a great experience builder and a hoot to enjoy!

This is a shorter video to watch, there are quite a few others varying in length and quality on YouTube.

As suggested, it might be an easier transition if you started with .22LR matches and practice. Less expensive but just as demanding of the shooter. Besides, it's a ton of fun to shoot and just as challenging. This will allow you to plan and search out what works for the centerfire PRS matches.

Enjoy!

:)

From the match director side, sign up for a match. Be it rimfire or centerfire. Let the MD know it's your first match. Most likely you will be squadded with experienced shooters who are known by the MD as "good dudes". They will shower you with gear and advice.
Keep an open mind as well as eyes and ears. It will be different than you expected in a good way as these guys are not uptight cronies as is sometimes perceived by certain parts of the shooting world.
Most importantly, Have fun.

As stated earlier - NRL22 is a great way to start as lots of positional techniques and gear with potentially less expensive rifle to start. (You can spend a lot of money on a custom 22 rig - I have). No reloading of custom centerfire cartridges like 6 Dasher, etc. You will have the 22LR ammo idiosyncrasies but that is a post to itself. PRS22 is my preferred rimfire addiction.

I'm a relative novice at long range match shooting, but NRL Hunter and PRS matches I've shot were full of helpful and generous people. Almost everybody will give you a hand, advice or lend you equipment. It's a good time

The one advice I can give is to go slow, and stay in the gun and spot your misses. Forget about the timer and have fun. Slow and steady the best way. Don't put to much pressure on yourself have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, the big key is building good position which you can practice dry firing or even shooting 100 yards.

Here is my take on long range shooting. I started 2 years ago in NRL Hunter shooting skills. When you shoot skills other shooters are allowed to help you. I zero for 100 yds and use the now outlawed StrelokPro and have no problem hitting targets at 700-800 yds.
Started NRL22 last summer at our club range it is a lot of fun and you don't need a $3000.00 rifle