Midrange Hunter with BDC

wilkup

Rifle is a custom 270WSM
Shooting a 165gr Matrix VLD @ 3100FPS

Setup will be used on high mountain hunts for shots out to around 500 yards.

I have a VX6 4-24x52 TMOA reticle, but I want something lighter. I don't need such massive magnification and think 10-12 would be optimal.

I'm thinking another smaller VX6 2-12 or the new Nightforce SHV 3-10 would be about perfect, but don't have any personal experience with a NF optic. Anything else I should throw into the running? How about a Zeiss Z3 3-10?

In a perfect world, I'd love the VX6 with Leupold's Varmint Hunter Reticle. That'd be just about perfect as far as glass clarity and weight go with an awesome reticle =)

That VX6 2-12 with the windplex reticle for wind and cds turret for elevation looks
good.

Another lightweight option would be a Varix-3 in 4.5-14x40 with windplex and a
target turret or cds for elevation with engraved turret. 1" tube

I got a chance to check out a VX-R yesterday with the CDS and the windplex reticle. It was the 4-12x50 and I was blown away how bright it was after dark! The sales guy let me take it outside to look around and while it wasn't like my VX6, it was surprising how much light it gathered. More than enough for me and what I plan to use it for. The windplex is pretty neat too. I just wish there were an option to use the CDS freebie on what turret of your choosing, cuz I'd prefer the m1.
I also took a look see through a VX3 with the varmint hunter reticle and have changed my mind on that setup. The marks for wind are tough to see against anything dark (anything I'd shoot at) and so unfortunately that just won't work.
My interest has been peaked by that VX-R for sure but Leupold does have the $100 off any VX3 glass going right now....
So I could go with a 30mm VX3 4.5-14x50 with side focus and windplex for a pretty good deal right now, but no illumination.
Choices, choices, choices

Get the VX3 4.5-14x40 with side focus and windplex without the CDS.
Send the scope back into Leupold to get the Target turret installed for $90.

You can then have Leupold or Kenton Industries make a laser engraved turret for your load for the target turret.
I shoot a 300 ackley, with a 200 grain .30 accubond at 3150 fps.
Have the rifle set for zero at 300 yards, hold at the top of the shoulder at 400 yards and start to click past 400 yards.

This combo with the windplex is hard to beat. Have it in both the 3.5-10x40
and 4.5-14x40 Leupold Varix-III. I like the 1" tubes for a really lightweight option.

The target turret has covers and you only need to remove the cover if you are going to shoot more than 400 yards.
Have not seen anything else that I would want instead for a light weight long range shooting scope.

You can then have Leupold or Kenton Industries make a laser engraved turret for your load for the target turret.

I'm trying to avoid a CDS-style turret because I hunt several different areas that have varying elevations, temps, etc and don't have the cash to purchase an individual turret dedicated for each location.
I do prefer the 30mm for the benefits it offers and am happy to make the weight trade for that. The same goes for the 50mm objective verses the 40mm, having hunted and shot with both.

I'm trying to avoid a CDS-style turret because I hunt several different areas that have varying elevations, temps, etc and don't have the cash to purchase an individual turret dedicated for each location.
I do prefer the 30mm for the benefits it offers and am happy to make the weight trade for that. The same goes for the 50mm objective verses the 40mm, having hunted and shot with both.

You were talking about a VX6 and a Nightforce SHV 3-10in the beginning of the post in the $875.00 - $960.00 price range

You could get a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 with three turrets
for different altitudes and still come out ahead.

For what it's worth I have both the 1" and 30mm Leupold's with the target turrets installed in both 3.5-10x40 and 4.5-14x40 with side focus and without.
Don't find much of a difference between them for out to 600 yards hunting.

The scope I have hunted most with is the 3.5-10x40 Varix III with target turret installed and laser engraved turret. It's very lightweight and has stood up to the punishing recoil of the 300 ackley for many years. Complete rifle with 26"
shilen barrel, scope and mounts weigh 7lbs 8 oz

This rifle scope combo has been deadly out to 600 yards.

You can also send in any older Leupold Varix III scope and Leupold will install the windplex reticle for $70 and $90 for the target turret. Laser engraved turrets with your data is around $70 from leupold.

The good news is that you have lots of options that will work well.
You have a flat shooting rifle and could always go with a little chart taped to
the stock with clicks past 400 yards until you get funds to get engraved turrets.

Well, that's just my experience with Leupold scopes and others for the last
30 years, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
A couple more optics I've added to the mix...
First Focal Plane sounds interesting, having never used it.

Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 FFP
Burris Veracity 3-15x50 FFP

I've owned the Vortex with a 44mm SFP plane, Leupold VX6 and VX3, but never any Burris or Nightforce options. Anyone have some comparisons between them all? As far as glass is concerned, I'm guessing the VX6 and Nightforce have a leg up on the others but how will the Burris, VX3 and Vortex stack up?

On the BDC turret issue: Your stated use range for the rifle shouldn't be a big problem for custom engraved turrets. Until you get out to 650-700 and beyond, it takes a pretty big temp or altitude change to make enough difference in your drops to cause a miss. Without restarting the MOA/Mil vs yardage turret wars, one turret can serve many conditions with a little careful planning. Give the archive article on the Huskemaw scope on the homepage a read, and in there the author describes re-zeroing a BDC turret for different conditions (within reason) to achieve satisfactory results. Run drop charts on your chosen load for all the different conditions in which you expect to use the rifle and see just how far you can shoot before any divergence errors will become an issue. You can have one turret made for the conditions in which you expect to take the longest shots, and use it for shorter ranges without excessive POI/POA problems. THLR.NO on youtube also discusses using BDC turrets in differing conditions effectively.

Picked up a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 and like it but am wondering about the XTR II version and how they each might compare with Nightforce SHV 3-10x42.
I love the FFP on the Burris, the glass is very clear and the brightness in the evening is excellent! The reason I'm considering the XTR II (even with the chunky 34mm tube) is cuz of the exposed turrets and that illuminated reticle.
If the Veracity had an IR option and an exposed elevation turret in that 30mm tube, there would be no contest. It would kill the optics market, IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.