binos-low budget to midrange

timmay

I have been researching binoculars and like scopes there are so many I get a headache researching them all.
I am not I binocular expert, I am a total novice when it comes to them.
Looking for an all around use (hunting, camping, urban..etc)
I first decided I was going to buy something under $250 and settled on these:
All 8x42

(current Amazon prices)
Bushnell Excursion HD $110
Celestron Trailseeker $190
Vortex Diamondback $220
Nikon Monarch5 $250

These were my choices for the next level and my upper limit budget:
Vortex Talon HD $420
Vortex Viper HD $520
Zen-Ray ED3 $415
Trijicon HD $620 (I guess these are the same glass as the Meopta)

Just need some advise as there are way too many to even list. Don't know If I should go the budget route or higher price

Vortex Viper HD. I was actually in the same boat a couple weeks back. I went to a sporting goods store and tried comparing, and you tell subtle differences amongst the group. When you ask to compare them in the dimly lit warehouse, some really stand out. My opinion is that dollar for dollar, the Viper Hd are hard to beat. You get a lot of value for the money with Vortex, and get a great warranty to boot. Buy once, cry once. $300 is a small premium extra to pay for better glass that for all intents and purposes will last a lifetime.

+1 for viper HD. I have the zen ray ed3. great binos but the viper HD's are in the same league and have a better warranty.

+1 for viper HD. I have the zen ray ed3. great binos but the viper HD's are in the same league and have a better warranty.

The zen-ray ED3 are $100 less than the Vipers and are built out of Magnesium which is supposed to be the better option..the Vortex Razor HD's are made out of magnesium
but Im probably sure this is more of a personal preference and doesn't really matter..
The Meopta Meopro HD 8x42 is supposedly the same as the trijicon but the trijicon is about $200 less.

I wonder why no one chooses the Vortex Talon over the viper. It has a much wider field of view and, from what Ive read, is pretty much optically equivalent and I like the double bridge type design to hold onto the tubes a little better. Having a wider field of view, though, I guess creates a little more distortion on the outer edges?

I wish there were somewhere I could look through the Zenrays. Vortex are in every shop around me, but no Zen-Ray that I know of.

If at all possible go somewhere where you can compare them side by side.
If you are backpack hunting in mountains then you want something light.
I have Nikon Monarch 7 10 x30 and they have excellent brightness and clarity, are compact and only weigh 440g/15.5 oz.
Definitely worth a look.

The trijicon isn't the same as the meopta, at least not the meopta Meostar which is the top of the line meopta. The cabelas euro hd's are the meopta's however. Of those you list I'd go with the zen Ray ed3's but I'd buy the demos from cameraland ny for $330. I've never seen much from vortex that impressed me.

The trijicon isn't the same as the meopta, at least not the meopta Meostar which is the top of the line meopta. The cabelas euro hd's are the meopta's however. Of those you list I'd go with the zen Ray ed3's but I'd buy the demos from cameraland ny for $330. I've never seen much from vortex that impressed me.

Thanks for the heads up of the camera land open box ZenRays..thats a great deal.

As far as the Trijicons, Ive read that they are made by Meopta (this is internet rumor so far)and use the exact same glass as the Meopta Meopro HD which is around $850
vs $620 for the Trijicon...but $330 for an open box Zen-Ray ED3, I don't think Im gonna pass that one up
Thanks!

One other question: Is anyone using any porro prism design binos?
I know most hunter like the roof prism because they are less bulky, but Ive been reading that the porro prism are easier to make and easier to get clear vivid images so they are priced much lower

I have the Zen Rays and really like them. Better than my buddies significantly more expensive Leupolds. Better than any of the same priced ones I tried at both Cabelas and Gander Mtn. I took a chance and bought them online based on some feedback and I am very pleased with them. I will likely be buying another pair for my son. As far as warranty, not sure how Zen Ray actually is, I havent needed it.

I ended up with the Vortex Talon HD 8x42
I couldn't see any difference at all looking through it and the Viper HD even looking at them outside. Plus I like the open bridge style better and they are over $100 less and have a huge amount more field of view.

One thing I will say though is that I was very impressed with Nikon Monarch 5 for only $250 they were awesome...Im still wondering if I made the right choice by spending twice as much for the Talons.
The sales guy talked me out of them saying the Vortex Talon HD will be much better in low light and overall crispness/sharpness. But just from looking inside the store the monarch5 were crystal clear almost to the very edge.
The Talons are definitely brighter and more crisp looking, but not by a whole lot.
All three salesmen said they'd take the Vortex over the Monarchs, even if it was the diamondbacks. (which I disagree on that. I thought Id like the diamondbacks but ended up thinking they were one of the worst. The Nikon Monarch 5 blew them away easily in my opinion)

Also For only $189 the Nikon Prostaff 7's seemed to be the best of all the low cost ones I looked at.

After looking at the specs of the Zen-Ray ED3 They seem to be identical to the Vortex Talon. Magnesium build, same field of view, same weight, same close view....I just decided to spend the little extra on the Vortex because of their warranty.

The Zen-Ray ED3 is great glass!!! I used them for almost 2 seasons and just upgraded to a pair of Zeiss. I gave the Zen's to my wife. The Zeiss are better glass and I notice a difference optically, but the Zen's are just comfortable on my eyes where the Zeiss seem to lack a bit. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly, maybe just a familiarity thing.... I say go with the Zen-Rays and you will be happy.

I have a set of zeiss binos and a fried of mine has a set of the mornachs. We compared them out at 800 to 1000 yards. Both are 10 power same size and for the money I wish I would had bought the mornachs instead of almost double the price of the zeiss. Both are just as clear and we were able to distinguish small detail on deer around 600 yards or so. So basically what I saying is don't over look the mornachs for a much more expensive bino.

I have a set of zeiss binos and a fried of mine has a set of the mornachs. We compared them out at 800 to 1000 yards. Both are 10 power same size and for the money I wish I would had bought the mornachs instead of almost double the price of the zeiss. Both are just as clear and we were able to distinguish small detail on deer around 600 yards or so. So basically what I saying is don't over look the mornachs for a much more expensive bino.

The Audobon Society rates the Nikon Monarch ATB very well ...

https://www.audubon.org/news/the-2014-audubon-guide-binoculars

Attachments

• Best $600 binocs.JPG
    Best $600 binocs.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts