Mid weight 6.5X47

BEEMAN

Could use a little help on putting together a 8-9 lb carry gun. I will be building it off a Remington 700 SA. Would like to keep the cost down on this one. Right now I was thinking either a #3 or #4 Benchmark with a Boyds Pro Varmint. I have a NF SHV 4-14X56 on hand. Maybe this scope is to heavy. When I add up all the parts it comes in around the 9 lb+ mark. Sure would rather it be 8 lbs. Open to suggestions, but again want to keep the cost down. I have other rifles with custom actions and Mcmillan or Manners stocks. The price of these stocks kills my budget for this build.

I don't really think of the "Pro Varmint" as a carry stock. A bit bulky and not really an "off hand" stock. If you are looking for light have you considered the Featherweight Thumbhole?

That scope, while really great, is heavy. A lighter weight 3-9x40 is probably enough for a carry rifle.

I believe you could loose a 1/2 lb each on the stock and scope.

Thanks I will look into the feather weight. Do they offer that in any other stocks other than thumbhole? I agree that I may need to look into a different scope. Just didn't want to buy another one, but I might have to.

You could always do some trading around. I bet you could probably find a good 3-9x scope and bell and carlson medalist or stocky's has a laminate that would probably fit the bill after some trading or straight up selling the nightforce.

I like more magnification. Especially when shooting paper. As far as selling the SHV, it is currently on my Cooper 280 AI. Think I will look for a lighter 4-14 or 3-10. I'd love a Z5 with a ballistic turret but to much money. Hard to build something on a budget. All my other guns always ended up way to expensive. Promised myself to keep this one less expensive. I am also in Canada so not as easy to source some of these stocks without export permits. Plus that costs money too. One reason I was leaning towards Boyds as they ship to Canada.

I have the Boyds pro varmint on my 6.5 -06. Its nice accurate stock for the price and not very heavy. It was easy to bed, had to do a little sanding to get a good fit on my heavy barrel. Its a hunting gun weighs 10-11lbs mainly because of heavy barrel. You can easily keep in your weight range with this stock.

As recommended in early post the Boyd thumb hole feather weight is a nice stock for the price and very light.

I have had all synthetic stocks but after buying a couple of the Boyd's I'm slowly going back to the wood laminates. Hard to beat for the money and Ive found them to be just as good as stocks twice the price and easier to work on.

Yeah I have a Boyds thumbhole on my 25-06 AI and it works good. Right now with the Canadian dollar being so weak; a Manners or Mcmillan is going to run anywhere from $800-1500 Canadian!! Another option I could do is drill out some wood in the butt plate to remove some weight on the Pro Varmint. I just really like more of a vertical/pistol grip.

My gunsmith is very reasonable and I am not crazy about barrel nuts. Export permit is around $350 for me to get that barrel to Canada. To many regulations!! I looked into a Canadian company Wildcat stocks. They are nice and light 17-23 oz and the price wasn't bad either. Sent them a email for more info. They are just a raw blank that needs sanding, paint, swivel studs and recoil pad. Be a good winter project when it's -30.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.