Mid weight goal realized

Mark37082

I've been waiting on a 280AI build for many months. My target weight was 8.5 lbs for a scoped unloaded hunting rifle. I just got back from SPR (Bugholes) and quickly mounted a scope I had in the safe. Weight was 8lbs 3ozs with a VX5HD with Alumina caps. This won't be the final scope for this rig, but it opens up my scope options a bit and still be close to my target weight. It's great when a plan comes together.
Defiance LA Anti X
Proof 24" Sendero 8 twist
Mesa Altitude stock
TI 3 port brake contoured
Hawkins DBM Hunter bottom metal and mag
TT Special trigger
Hawkins UL rings
Loads beginning tonight.

I agree it's nice when things work out. My builds always turn out heavier than planned. Except like you and my last 280 AI build. Came in almost exactly on target. A bit heavier than yours at 8 lb 9.5 oz with a NF nx8.

Mark, I built my 7 Mag with almost those identical components with a couple of small exceptions. 24" Bartlein Carbon, 5 port TI brake, AG Composite stock.

I ended up putting a V6 Zeiss 5-30 Scope and everything came in at 8.4lbs. Just finishing load development and it shoots "lights out". It is my first and only custom rifle.

Great job on the "Mid Weight Rifle"👍

It's rare for me to have everything work out as planned. This was my first full custom and was hoping the components would come together without issues. Weight was a big factor as I just don't like lugging a heavy rifle around all day while hunting. I'm really happy with the Mesa stock as it just fits me perfectly with immediate eye to scope alignment when shouldered. My biggest concern is getting a scope that will fit with the proper eye relief on the LA integrated rail. I have looked hard at the March F and Zeiss V6, with the better than expected weight of the rifle I am now looking at the NF NX8 as well. Somehow I screwed up the Redding Competition neck bushing die last night and now I'm trying to figure out what to do to load up a few rounds. The ole 308 will have to do on the whitetail hunting trip next week.

I bought a March F 3-24x52mm for a AnTi 300prc build, using Hawkins Hybrid ring mounts the main tube was maybe .100" too short to fit. Maybe close with an LA AnTi X as well

My search continues for a scope that will work the best on the Anti X LA. I just don't want a 2 lb scope or one that won't fit the rails and give me marginal eye relief option. The pic below shows I am right next to the bell on the Leupold at shortest mounting point. The eye relief is good on this scope, but it has a fairly good eye box. I'm looking for good field of view (3X) for those timber shots, good glass, at least 15X up top, and good turrets for under $3K. It shouldn't be this hard.
23C23389-7BDC-46E4-9969-581C2A259921.jpeg

Mark, congrats on the build. I've seen several of your posts along the way as I believe we both started building our 280AIs at about the same time. Glad it all came out as planned for you. Looking forward to seeing your load development journey…keep us posted.

As to optic, maybe a bit more than your budget but I think the TT 3-15H would be the ideal all around hunting optic.

Look at the Trijicon tenmile/credo scopes on Eurooptic they are very nice and they have them pretty discounted. I have a tenmile 4-24x50 I really enjoy it. It's pretty close to my Nx8 4-32x50. I have several different high-end optics and the Trijicon fits the bill for a great hunting rig that's not a pig on weight.
16664632011046939214390907471860.jpg

Absolute beautiful rig. Whish you well in your search for your glass search.
Do you have a direction you are leaning for a load for this rifle? I have 2 for my 280 AI and am working on a third . 155 gr Federal Edge TLR, 145 Barnes LRX and Now just starting on 162 Hornady eld x.

That TT315M would work great, except it would be difficult to justify right now. Load development will need to wait until later as I will be in the woods for the next few weeks. I'm leaning toward the HH143, Berger CH 168, and Nosler AB 160. I have decent supply of H4831SC and H4350 on hand. Once I get to the reloading room and the range I will share the results.
Happy Hunting!