6.5/.284, 7 SAUM? mid range/mid weight rifle?

EXPRESS

I'd like to put a rifle together that weights around or under 10lbs, 24" scoped, 24" barrel for shooting (and hunting) in the 300 - 700 yard bracket.

I have been yearning for a 6.5/.284 for a few years now, but now looking at it, there doesn't seem to be much I can't do with my 7mm-08 that I could do with the 6.5/.284 - other than the high BC 140gn bullets carrying energy better downrange and an extra 100fps or so. This edge is marginal, though tantalizing.

Now, I am a little limited by laws here as to what I can do with a "custom" rifle, so I don't have a lot of choices.

So I've been thinking about the 7 Saum cartride, it has a similar trajectory with a 160gn bullet as the 6.5/.284 with the 140gn.
This cartridge just doesn't have the appeal of the 6.5/.284 somehow, even though it may hit harder and fly flatter.

Is my logic flawed here?

I want something that is fairly light recoiling, light weight enough to carry in the mountains, without being an ultralight and does the job better than the 7mm-08 (which is my ultrlight 6.4lb rifle, scoped & loaded) out past 300.

Last edited:
6.5x284 verses 7rsaum

I had and used a 6.5x284 for L.R. competetion at our club.I did o.k. with it,but burned the barrel up at about 700 rds.Im sue some of it was my fault because I wouldn't let the barrel cool down when shooting groups.I am know using a 7rsaum.I like it better,I think if you run the numbers on it using the 180 Berger at 2800fps its better than 6.5.The barrel life should be better imho.Archie

Thanks Bluedeer, I have been thinking about it for awhile now and figure there isn't much the 7mm-08 can't do the 6.5-824 can, while the 7SAUM has a marked advantage over both of them. I am still attracted to the high BC 6.5 bullets so I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

I just started doing load development for my 7mm saum 1000yd light gun and so far I am very impressed with it. 3000 fps is easily attainable in my rifle with 180 Bergers, only a 27.5" barrel. I started with 300 saum Norma brass because I got it cheap, I have now switched to 300 saum Nosler brass which is what I had the reamer ground for, the Nosler brass is good stuff:). I built the rifle with the thought of using 162gr A-max bullets and have just worked with the Bergers for a comparison, so far I like the A-max bullets better but I haven't shot it at 1000 yet.
James

Not to sure what gun your 7-08 is chambered in but swapping it over to 7mmSAUM would be pretty easy , just rechamber the barrel and a little work to the action and your done. The 7mmSAUM will balisticaly beat the 6.5-284 and also hit alot harder. The 162gr A-max would make an awsome bullet for deer at 700yds , planty of thump and the fragile bullet will open and expand well at that range. Heck even the old 284 Winchester would be a good round for a rechamber cantidate , you should be able o get 2900fps out of a 160class bullet and a 24" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.