MEC Marksman Vs older RCBS Rockchucker honest review

Bigeclipse

All,
I just wanted to give my honest opinion on the new MEC Marksman compared to my old Rockchucker. Just some background. I started reloading about 8 years ago and by my numerous posts you will likely see I am far from a pro BUT I do have some experience and just wanted to give some feedback. I purchased my RCBS Rockchucker from an old timer 8 years ago. It has been my first and only single stage press to date. I had no idea what to look for in a press and what was important when I purchased. All I knew is he sold me a TON of stuff for 250$, all of which seemed mint condition even though it was likely made in the 70s or 80s and was everything I needed to reload so I wasn't complaining. Fast forward to today. I make a better living and have recently decided to get some new reloading stuff. First I started with a Dillon 750 for pistol bulk stuff. Then I said hey, I'm going to get new stuff for accuracy rifle ammo loading as well which included new scales and of course I wanted a new press lol. I did a bunch of research and just seemed the MEC has been rated one of the best as far as runout, smoothness, tight quality build...etc. I must say it does impress me. That being said I quickly realized my old Rockchucker was just as solid and produced about just the same runout (very little to none with my match dies). So was it worth it to get the MEC to replace my old RCBS....not really. That being said, if I were buying new today and didn't already have the rcbs I would get the MEC instead unless I wanted to prime on the press which the MEC doesn't do. I'm not sure of the quality of the current Rockchucker line but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they are like my old one either. The MEC and RCBS both feel about the same as far as force needed to size brass. Both feel equally smooth to me. The one thing I like about the MEC is also the same thing I dislike about it and that is the floating shell holder thing. Yes, it definitely allows the die to float a bit and does help with aligning things, especially with my less quality die sets (the match quality dies seem to be fine in both presses as far as alignment is concerned). So what bothers me about the floating shell holder? It's design also allows the shell holder to spin REALLY easily. Why is this bad you may ask? Well let's say you are sizing a lot of brass. With a regular press shell holder that is tight you get into a rhythm of sizing brass. For me my rhythm is I use my right hand to work the press handle and I use my left hand to grab the next piece of brass to size and while holding that piece I remove the current sized piece from the press and simultaneously replace it with the next piece all I one step. I hope that makes sense. Well This step is more difficult on the MEC because occasionally you spin the shell holder which means you have to take the piece of brass that was just sized, out in a different direction and straighten the shell holder back to the direction you want it facing. This becomes super annoying. That being said, if I focus a bit I am able to start preventing that from happening. VERY annoying none the less. Certainly not a deal breaker for me and as I stated above I would buy the MEC press over the RCBS but it is something to note. All in all either press is great so don't be afraid to buy second hand stuff just as long as you check it out first.

edit: I forgot another plus of the MEC. When depriming, the primer and any debris fall through the ram and the rest of the press as opposed to around it like the RCBS. this leaves the ram virtually clean on the MEC. I have heard many people say their press wore out because of primer Dust and such landing on the ram causing it to wear over time.

Last edited:
My first press was an RCBS A-2, that I bought new in 1965. It was a good press (but not as good as it's legend says).

I sold it in 1974 and bought a C-H Champion, which is a 30 pound beast. It is still my main, first line press.

About 5 years ago, I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker-II on eBay for $80. I bought it to use in a class (I teach handloading), and it is a fan-****-tastic press.

In all the years that I have been loading, I have NEVER primed on a loading press - I use an RCBS Bench Priming Tool

I would not put up with a press that allowed the shell holders to spin, for a New York Second!! Out the **** door with it.

Well said, thats the great thing with this site, you get reloaders first hand experience and opinions on items not the biased manufacturer / gun writer slant. I too have a rockchucker IV/Supreme press and have owned and used it since about 2003. I needed a new press because my rockchucker succumbed to the steady rain of corrosive dust and bits from depriming countless rounds thru the years. Ram got play in it and it was given dedicated depriming status with a universal decapper die, will be on my bench as long as I reload. I tried an RCBS Summit like BigE above did a Marksman, I tried to be as informed as possible and then posted a review on this site to give experience's with. As reloader's do this it will give some insight for other's to benefit from.

BigE I would suggest not maybe as a cure but a relief from the spinning shellholder hassel, try different brand shellholder's and see if some don't fit tighter than others. I tried Lee, Redding, and RCBS in my press and the redding's where snug and much less prone to any movement or turning. Just a suggestion but it worked on a different press with a similar issue. Enjoy the new press and Reloading! :)

Also I would be lost without my RCBS and Frankford hand priming tools. Got to have that feel when I seat them, makes it so easy to tell as primer pockets slowly loosen and to what degree.

Last edited:
Well said, thats the great thing with this site, you get reloaders first hand experience and opinions on items not the biased manufacturer / gun writer slant. I too have a rockchucker IV/Supreme press and have owned and used it since about 2003. I needed a new press because my rockchucker succumbed to the steady rain of corrosive dust and bits from depriming countless rounds thru the years. Ram got play in it and it was given dedicated depriming status with a universal decapper die, will be on my bench as long as I reload. I tried an RCBS Summit like BigE above did a Marksman, I tried to be as informed as possible and then posted a review on this site to give experience's with. As reloader's do this it will give some insight for other's to benefit from.

BigE I would suggest not maybe as a cure but a relief from the spinning shellholder hassel, try different brand shellholder's and see if some don't fit tighter than others. I tried Lee, Redding, and RCBS in my press and the redding's where snug and much less prone to any movement or turning. Just a suggestion but it worked on a different press with a similar issue. Enjoy the new press and Reloading! :)

Also I would be lost without my RCBS and Frankford hand priming tools. Got to have that feel when I seat them, makes it so easy to tell as primer pockets slowly loosen and to what degree.
You reminded me of another big plus of the MEC is that the primer and any dust from it fall through the ram as opposed to around it. This leaves the ram virtually dust free from depriving which is a huge plus!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.