McGowen Barrel Copper Foul

Re: Copper Foul

I would keep cleaning and shooting, that barrel might settle in ! I've had custom barrels foul at first like that and by 30 rounds or so no fouling at all !

Even though there are a few issues dealing with this barrel, I must say I am 100% happy with the customer service at both The Barrel Outlet and McGowen directly.

Nick almost always answers the phone immediately when I call the outlet, I say "almost always" because there was two times when he didn't answer, saw my number on the caller ID and called me back. Thats caring about your customers! McGowen has been wonderful to work with as well. I've heard horror stories about barrel manufacturers leaving their customers out in the cold when they have a problem like this. Not these guys.

I'm sure this will get resolved and I wont hesitate to buy from these guys in the future.

We have several McGowen barrels. All of them have shot very well. We will never buy another. The manager of the shop is an absolute *******. We ordered a barrel and they did it wrong. When brought up to him his answer was "I don't care. Take it or leave it." I told him to make a tomato stake out of it and left the shop. Never again. Plenty of other very good barrel makers out there.

Steve

PS. These guys are less than 10 miles from my house. Would much rather walk in the door than mail order.

Time to update this situation. I want to start off by saying I would have updated this post no matter what experience I had, good or bad. I did a lot of research on McGowen barrels before I bought mine and got mixed reviews. Maybe this will help someone else decide.

December 1st- After about 50 rounds went down the tube and the copper foul continued and accuracy was not there, I finally sent the barrel back to McGowen upon their request. I live in Idaho, they are in Montana, 3 days shipping max.

December 15th- Hadn't heard anything from McGowen so I called them to make sure they received the barrel and didn't have any questions. They didn't have me fill out an RMA, so I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. They did receive the barrel, didn't have time to look at it at this point.

January 3rd- Emailed McGowen to see what the status was, At this point I was getting a little anxious, wolves are in full swing here and I really need my barrel back or an update but I understood that they were probably busy with the holidays. They replied and notified me that they were replacing the barrel, but didn't give a reason. I gave them props for the customer service at this point.

January 30th- Emailed McGowen again as it has been almost 30 days since they let me know they would be replacing the barrel. They inform me that "Your replacement is in contouring and should be in gunsmithing tomorrow. So it should be out of here in short order." Fantastic!!! I will be back in business soon.

February 15th- Emailed McGowen again as it has been 2 weeks since the barrel should have been "out of here in short order." Notably short reply this time, "Talked to my production manager and he said it would be done by the end of the week."

March 3rd- Email McGowen again as it has been 2 weeks since it should have been "done by the end of the week." No reply to my email this time yet. Every other time it was same day response.

So now it is March 6th, still no barrel, they have had my barrel for right around 13 weeks, give or take a day or two. Very disappointed in this, I was under the impression that warranty issues went right to the front of the line. I'm sure they are tired of getting emails from me, I get that. I am certainly tired of emailing them. For anyone who is thinking about buying a McGowen barrel, better hope it shoots well and you don't have to deal with them for anything other than purchase.

Washing my hands of this, I don't really care if I get it back I'm most likely ordering a Brux or Bartlein today. A lot more in cost, but I won't have to say "McGowen" when someone asks me what barrel is on my rig.

I'm on my fourth Mcgowan barrel. I love all of them. No crazy copper fouling and accuracy is outstanding. My barrels clean effortlessly.

I'm going to say this again, I think the ELD-X is why it copper fouled so bad. Anymore I'll only load a powder with copper fouling reducing properties ( RL25, Rl26, Rl23) with ELD-X, if it won't shoot with these powders I will go back to my favorites, Berger.

I'm on my fourth Mcgowan barrel. I love all of them. No crazy copper fouling and accuracy is outstanding. My barrels clean effortlessly.

I'm going to say this again, I think the ELD-X is why it copper fouled so bad. Anymore I'll only load a powder with copper fouling reducing properties ( RL25, Rl26, Rl23) with ELD-X, if it won't shoot with these powders I will go back to my favorites, Berger.

I don't buy that it was just the ELD X's for two reasons. For one, I cleaned the hell out of it and shot Bergers from about 15 through 50 rounds, I should have made that more clear. For two, I doubt McGowen would have offered to replace the barrel if the problem was the bullet. They found something, admitted it was wrong and offered to replace, certainly to their credit.

I'm not questioning whether they shoot well or not, I think quite a lot of them do. I'm not even ****ed about getting a bad one, that happens.

Having the barrel for 13 weeks for warranty is unacceptable as is promising for 2 months that it would be shipped soon. A majority of their product may be good, but the customer service is atrocious.

I've had two McGowen barrels in the past and they were outstanding in every way. I just got my third McGowen barrel a few weeks ago in 28 Nosler and it's shooting 1/4 MOA.

Never had anything but great customer service, and I got my barrel in 8 weeks when they estimated 10-12. I can't say I've had to return anything but I imagine like most gunsmiths they have other customers waiting and can't drop everything to make one person happy..I'm surprised they made bad timeline promises though.

I'm still breaking in my barrel and have 20 rounds through it so far, I did notice quite a bit of copper color when cleaning it the other day. I'm shooting the 180 ELD-M bullets and have no idea if it's the bullets going at 3100 fps, or the barrel itself...
I'll keep an eye on it, are there any recommendations for cleaning out the copper during break in? And how big of a deal is it to get some fouling? Like I said accuracy is exceptional so far

Can't help you with your warranty problems, but I can say I have heard copper fouling issues with the 143gr ELD-X before but I have no personal experience with it. I highly recommend and use the Hornady ELD Match line of bullets. They are nearly identical to the ELD-X but with better options for bullet weight and 9/10 have higher BCs. Pick up a box of the 140s or better yet 147s and give them a try. We have not had any problems with them fouling or being hard to load for. All rifles have shot sub-half MOA with just a random load and about .015-.025 off the lands.

I hope you get your barrel back or a full refund. I have dealt with the same kind of companies and it's not only annoying, but also ridiculous. If you do get a refund or for later on down the road, Northland Shooter Supply carries a full range of Savage pre-fit barrels from Criterion and Shilen. I have heard nothing but great things about the owner, the business, and how well the barrels shoot.

Can't help you with your warranty problems, but I can say I have heard copper fouling issues with the 143gr ELD-X before but I have no personal experience with it. I highly recommend and use the Hornady ELD Match line of bullets. They are nearly identical to the ELD-X but with better options for bullet weight and 9/10 have higher BCs. Pick up a box of the 140s or better yet 147s and give them a try. We have not had any problems with them fouling or being hard to load for. All rifles have shot sub-half MOA with just a random load and about .015-.025 off the lands.

I hope you get your barrel back or a full refund. I have dealt with the same kind of companies and it's not only annoying, but also ridiculous. If you do get a refund or for later on down the road, Northland Shooter Supply carries a full range of Savage pre-fit barrels from Criterion and Shilen. I have heard nothing but great things about the owner, the business, and how well the barrels shoot.

Yup, I have no interest in shooting the ELD X's now. Everything fouled out of this particular barrel though, Bergers included. There was most certainly something wrong with it.

We are on the same page, I have had 147's on hand and ready to load for about 2 months.

Type, I have no interest in shooting the ELD X's now. Everything fouled out of this particular barrel though, Bergers included. There was most certainly something wrong with it.

We are on the same page, I have had 147's on hand and ready to load for about 2 months.

Whenever you do go to load them up, give 54-56 grains of Retumbo a try in that 6.5-284. My cousin shoots the 147s at 2950fps with 55gr of Retumbo with no pressure signs in Lapua brass. These shot better than Bergers and 140gr ELDs in his rifle. The BC is also spot on.

Never had anything but great customer service, and I got my barrel in 8 weeks when they estimated 10-12. I can't say I've had to return anything but I imagine like most gunsmiths they have other customers waiting and can't drop everything to make one person happy..I'm surprised they made bad timeline promises though.

I honestly dont even know what to say to that. Drop everything to make one person happy? I paid them $500 for a barrel that has a defect. They've admitted that and had it for 13 weeks and have promised it to me in "short order" since the first part of January. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't have this opinion if it was your $500 and your #1 varmint gun inoperable through the winter. Do you really think any gunsmith wouldn't put Warranty work first?? Hell, they even told me that Warranty work always goes to the front of the line.

You don't have to look very hard to find horror stories about their customer service. Look back through this thread and read about RockyMtnMT's experience with them.

There have been a few post on here that have taken this personally because they have a McGowen or two that shot well. This isnt about their product, I've made that very clear. This is about their customer service, not about how well your barrel shoots.

Whenever you do go to load them up, give 54-56 grains of Retumbo a try in that 6.5-284. My cousin shoots the 147s at 2950fps with 55gr of Retumbo with no pressure signs in Lapua brass. These shot better than Bergers and 140gr ELDs in his rifle. The BC is also spot on.

Roger that. This is right in line with what I've seen elsewhere. Thanks for the info.

I honestly dont even know what to say to that. Drop everything to make one person happy? I paid them $500 for a barrel that has a defect. They've admitted that and had it for 13 weeks and have promised it to me in "short order" since the first part of January. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't have this opinion if it was your $500 and your #1 varmint gun inoperable through the winter. Do you really think any gunsmith wouldn't put Warranty work first?? Hell, they even told me that Warranty work always goes to the front of the line.

You don't have to look very hard to find horror stories about their customer service. Look back through this thread and read about RockyMtnMT's experience with them.

There have been a few post on here that have taken this personally because they have a McGowen or two that shot well. This isnt about their product, I've made that very clear. This is about their customer service, not about how well your barrel shoots.

Sound like you're the one taking it personally...
I'm not suggesting that you don't have the right to be mad about the whole deal, just that they are a small company and I'm sure have plenty going on.
And of course only you know what they did or did not promise. It just surprises me is all..

If you read all of my post I mentioned that I too noticed a significant amount of copper in my new McGowen Barrel (Not trying to be a partisan McGowen owner in the least).
You're post has made me suspicious and I'll be keeping tabs on the fouling throughout the break in process. I'm going to get the copper out with JB paste and then see if the Bergers act the same as the ELD-M's

Good luck I hope McGowen makes it right for you.

Thanks for the shout out Jud96. Referrals are always much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.