McGowen Barrel Copper Foul

Clucknmoan

Gents...need some advice here. Not sure if this is the best section for this, please move if there is a better place for it.

So I ordered a McGowen barrel for a savage 6.5 284. Mixed reviews for sure on McGowen, but I have very good sources that say the last several they have been around shot just fine.

There was some issues with production and shipping, the first barrel sent was not correct. The replacement barrel was certainly rushed to get to me.

It now has 11 rounds through it. Standard break in procedure, shoot 1, clean with Montana Extreme bore solvent, then with 50 BMG Copper Killer. I usually shoot 1 clean 1 for 10 shots, then move to 5 groups of 3, then 5…etc. I have NEVER had a problem doing this, none of my guns are remotely prone to fouling.

I go to clean this after the 11th shot in my shop, really good light. I can see that there is an unbelievable amount of copper streaks in the end of the bore. I haven't ever had a gun foul like this, not even on the first shot. I have to scrub like a bastard to get it out.

What in the world would cause a barrel to foul this bad? I'm shooting 143 ELD X's out if it right now. I haven't shot these through anything else, maybe they are just really prone to fouling? Could there be a problem from the factory to cause this??

Stumped. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20161017_111448.jpg
    20161017_111448.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 260
Re: Copper Foul

It must be a little rough in the problem area. I have had off the shelf rifles that copper fouled beyond belief, but found that hand lapping the barrel with a soft lead slug and some lapping compound fixed them right up and not only did they not foul hardly at all they also shot better. If you don't feel comfortable doing this you can also use some JB bore paste on a tight fitting patch and lap the barrel with it. I have been told that lapping a cut and finished barrel isn't a good idea but have seen no signs of trouble doing it.

I would use some JB or Remington 40x on that barrel and see how it shoots !

I wouldn't use any aftermarket product on the barrel. It would void your warranty.

I have a McGowen barrel that behaves nothing like that. I clean it with just patches most of the time. It barely copper fouls. It shoots great. This is the way a hand-lapped barrel should behave.

Suggest you contact McGowen and jump through the hoops with them one more time. This post makes me very hesitant about ordering another McGowen barrel.

I have used Final Finish and do not recommend it. It has been known to cause accuracy issues and is hard on the rifling.

I have one question.
How does it shoot with some copper fouling?

I shoot F-Class, my barrels don't get cleaned of copper for 300 rounds, carbon gets cleaned, no bore brushes are used, after every match or 60 odd rounds.
I find in good barrels that a little copper doesn't change groups much, but, carbon fouling does.

My big bores look copper along the entire barrel, it doesn't bother me one bit.

Cheers.
gun)

First I should clarify that the issue with the first barrel was purely cosmetic. They changed brake designs to something that looked a little more like a VIAS and I didn't care for it. Asked them to send me a new Brake, but they had to send an entire new Brake and barrel. The barrel for the new brakes swell a little and it wouldn't match up with the old turbo brakes.

As far as how it shoots, I have no idea yet with only 11 rounds through it. Those 11 rounds were specifically to pressure test Retumbo and the 143 ELD-X'S.

If this much fouling is unacceptable or unusual in a new barrel with this break in procedure, then I want to do something about it now and not waste a bunch of time and reloading components for a barrel that just isn't right.

Maybe I should call McGowen and ask them what I should do? I guess at least then there would be documentation of an issue before I usend anything that would void a warranty...if one exists.

I say if one exists because I didn't buy straight from McGowen, it was from The Barrel Outlet. I assume they uphold McGowens manufacturer warranty but I'm not 100% sure.

I'M ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE IT IS THE ELDX NOT YOUR MCGOWAN BARREL !!!

I have 4 McGowan barrels. None copper foul hardly at all. Unless you shoot eldx.

Had extreme copper fouling in my gunwerks 7lrm with the eldx. I switched to bergers. Cleaned barrel after 35 rounds of the bergers and had almost zero copper fouling.

I think the 6.5 ELD-X has a very soft jacket.

They foul badly if pushed over 2800 fps and they also expand too quickly on game.

My theory is they were designed by hornady for their flagship caliber, 6.5 creedmoor.

I have shot them with no problem out of my creedmoors but out of a 6.5-06 and a 6.5 SAUM they foul bad and create huge entrance wounds.

My .02

Had a chance to shoot a few Bergers at lunch today. This pic is after a 3 shot group, still some fouling present but it doesn't seem to be as bad. Hard to get a pic of it, but it's more than normal I would think.

As far as the group, 2 in the same hole and 1 outside about .5 @ 100. Could have been me, who knows. I'm going to call McGowen now that I have more info and see what they say.

Attachments

• 20161019_130057.jpg
    20161019_130057.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 231
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.