Master Bedroom Woodchucks!

"If you hunt WITH your kids today, you won't have to hunt FOR them tomorrow."
I don't know who said it originally, but I've always liked that quote. Spend time with your kids. Teach them something about the world. Make a connection. That's what matters in life.
Coldfinger - seeing your 6 year old out hunting and succeeding brought a smile to my face. Thanks so much for posting that. You're a great Dad. Those are memories he'll carry with him for life.

This is a thread about woodchucks in the master bedroom, isn't it?

Attachments

• 0428201628.jpg
    0428201628.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 196
I grew up in the country with a 10/22 in my hands when they weren't full of work. I upgraded to a 22 min mag when my buddies got AR's and we started to compete who could get the bloodiest/ farthest/ most. They traveled around to the other local farms while I just ran around our. I rarely got the bloodiest, never the farthest but usually the most. I had a 9mm high point carbine, ill make fun of them any day but for around the barns with iron sights for the price those things can shoot, never mind having to duct tape it together.
Man that was the way to grow up.

jgal72, that's some funny s...t right there lol!
YZ-80 the more I think and the more I read this thread all that comes to mind is Caddyshack. Trust me man when I say that sometimes a critter just gets under your skin enough and we all end up like Bill Murray. Been there done that will be there again I'm sure which ironically is just like another BM movie Groundhog day. What's that guy have with rodents lol.

On another note, Coldfinger that's just awesome that your boys are getting into it. I grew up hunting and shooting as did my wife and so it was only natural for our daughter to take it in also. her first trips with us to the duckblind came with a daiper bag. Yes that young lol. My fondest memories are her first various harvests as yours will be too. To me what you're doing is just good parenting. Keep it up!

jgal72, that's some funny s...t right there lol!
YZ-80 the more I think and the more I read this thread all that comes to mind is Caddyshack. Trust me man when I say that sometimes a critter just gets under your skin enough and we all end up like Bill Murray. Been there done that will be there again I'm sure which ironically is just like another BM movie Groundhog day. What's that guy have with rodents lol.
You are right! I am obsessed with groundhogs, and I would dare say that I like hunting them more than I do deer! I got hooked on it in graduate school back in the 90s. I'd get done teaching labs, grab my A-bolt .243 and walk a 220 acre farm up in west/central PA. It was best when the Timothy hay was about 6". I'd slowly walk the perimeter wood line and sometimes they'd stand up 20 yards in front of me. Man, would that .243 ever turn them into a yard sale with an 80 grain PSP!

Now, I don't see so many and I think that once you got them shot off a piece of ground like mine, it takes them a few years to come back. I'm pretty sure the one down on the plot is a pregnant female. I'm debating letting her go so I'll have 6 of them to shoot at next year!

Awwwww man! As much as I was looking forward to seeing you post a pic of a plan coming to fruition you make a pretty valid point here. 🤔 :cool:
Plus I had 3 jakes walking after a hen down there this AM. I think I'll leave her alone until
After spring gobbler season now!

Very valid point YZ-80. I LOVE turkey hunting too! Having said that, 1) don't wait too long or a family of those things can wipe out your food plot in short order as you know, 2) regardless of when you close the deal you HAVE TO do it as planned from the "bedroom stand" to make this adventure complete or everyone on here will give you a big BOOOO! LOL.

The old gentleman that got me hooked on groundhog hunting, 40 years ago, would let them alone until June 1st. He said the young would make it on their own after that. Sometimes I want to go kill some earlier, but I force myself to wait until June.

The old gentleman that got me hooked on groundhog hunting, 40 years ago, would let them alone until June 1st. He said the young would make it on their own after that. Sometimes I want to go kill some earlier, but I force myself to wait until June.

I had an old buddy who used to say "The best time to shoot one is when you see one." That's how we did it with woodchucks when I was a kid. We started as soon as the snow was off the fields, and we never let up all summer. They got a break when the hay got too deep to see them, but when the farmers cut hay, we went after them again with a vengeance. Hitting them hard & heavy didn't seem to put the slightest dent in the chuck population.

Even when the hay was too high to hunt the fields, there were always yard & garden chucks. A friend I grew up with was a real chuck-slayer, and we used to go to his grandmother's farm and give them the business. We'd sit watching the vegetable garden in the early mornings, and take them out with the 22. Granny just loved it every time we killed one of the marauders that were terrorizing her garden. As soon as we'd kill one, though, another one would move in and take over - we just couldn't stay ahead of them. Ditto for 'coons in the chicken house. We could shoot one of those about every week and another would show up. I guess that nature always fill a vacuum ……..

We spent the early evening hours walking the edges of the big field, and that was usually good for a couple more chucks every time we did it. That was an all-summer thing, but just like somebody mentioned in a post here, when the hay was about five or six inches tall seemed to be best. Right after the first cutting they seemed to feel a little too exposed, and they got kinda nervous. They would run for the woods for no reason at all, but when the hay grew back up to where they felt like they had a little something to hide in, they would hang around long enough to get shot. There was a rocky area that ran through the middle of Granny's big field, and it was loaded with chucks. Buster's daddy would set up in the shade right behind the barn and shoot them with the 243. Nothing fancy; an old Savage 99. That rifle had the worst trigger I have ever used, but that didn't seem to bother old Raymond. He was VERY hard on the chucks with it. 100-grain red-box Federal "Hi-Shok" was the load, just like he shot deer with. Those bullets really opened up a woodchuck, even a couple hundred yards off the muzzle.

We always had a rule (as we did not wish to exterminate all the chucks) to not kill them before mid May when the pups were able to survive.

Sadly, many did not follow that and most of the great chuck country of my youth (upstate NY) has very few if any.

Never could quite get around shooting a chuck and finding it was a lactating female as we all know the outcome of that.