Master Bedroom Woodchucks!

That's a big one. He was too big for a coyote to kill, so they left him for seed. They'll eat all the babies next spring.
Actually, it's a Mamma. So, I wonder if her kits will survive? They might be big enough now. That's the thing with controlling these things - In an ideal situation, you shoot the mom and the kits don't survive, eliminating 5-6 animals with a single kill. But the catch 22 is, then you don't have more of them to shoot! The farmer likes it either way but I want more targets! You can't tell what gender it is through the scope, and last I heard, they have 57 genders!

Actually, it's a Mamma. So, I wonder if her kits will survive? They might be big enough now. That's the thing with controlling these things - In an ideal situation, you shoot the mom and the kits don't survive, eliminating 5-6 animals with a single kill. But the catch 22 is, then you don't have more of them to shoot! The farmer likes it either way but I want more targets! You can't tell what gender it is through the scope, and last I heard, they have 57 genders!
They should be big enough . Saw one crossing the road today in town . It looked like it was doing good out by itself

I posted this under the first groundhog of 2023. I figured since I shot blonde from the spare bedroom I would also post it here. Head shot with 22 K hornet at 125ish yards.

Attachments

• IMG_9771.jpeg
    IMG_9771.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
Never mind the fox. We put a chuck in the crockpot one time! Not bad eatin for a critter who eats grass!
My thoughts exactly. Especially after hearing stories from family as growing up, how the younger ones were the best tasting. I had a large one 10 ft from my back window. And the thought of cooking it had crossed my mind. I believe I'll wait till I see a young one though.

You ain't kiddin! This farm I hunt on is just beautiful and the guy has 80 head of Angus. Lots of rolling hills and fencerows for the groundhogs to dig into. For some reason, we just aren't seeing them and I think it's the coyotes (which we also never see). This is an alternating bean/corn farm and you would think it would be riddled with chucks - but it's not. And it's not just on this farm. I have access to another one and I rarely see them there either. I can remember going out in western PA when I was in grad school (1996) and shooting 6 to 8 of them in a 2 hour period. Now, I'm lucky if I shoot 2-3 per season. It's gotten to be like hunting big horns! LOL!!
How many Eagles are in your area ?

Actually, we do have Bald eagles in the area and red tailed hawks. I can see where the eagles would definitely pose a threat to the groundhog population!

My thoughts exactly. Especially after hearing stories from family as growing up, how the younger ones were the best tasting. I had a large one 10 ft from my back window. And the thought of cooking it had crossed my mind. I believe I'll wait till I see a young one though.
Good idea. A fully grown woodchuck will be as tough as an old boot. You can par-boil one for a week and you still won't be able to stick a fork in it. If it's old enough to have ever dug its own den, it's too old to eat. Get a couple of little ones, about the size of a bunny-rabbit, and the meat will be tender & tasty. Just don't forget to cut the glands out of its armpits, as those will stink up your kitchen and your wife will skin you. It will also make the meat inedible. They are a pain in the neck to skin, but if you nail them up to a board by their paws, you can peel off the hide more handily. Roofing nails hold them up nicely. The barn at our old hunting camp in the Alleghenies has a couple hundred pairs of woodchuck paws nailed to the beams. We ate a ton of those little rascals when I was a kid, and they are some of the best eating I've ever had.