Marks or striations on lands in rifling

Mateo

I just cleaned my barrel with wipeout and had a peek at the rifling at the muzzle end and with my mag-lite I was able to see marks on the lands that I hadn't noticed before. And I hadn't noticed them because I never looked with a strong light like this. The little marks or very light scratches are running perpendicular to the bore and are only on the lands, not the grooves.They are 1mm apart approx. And interestingly, seem to be more on one side of the land than the other. I cant get a photo because it's such a small area to focus on and the light just reflects off of the polished crown. The rifling is single point cut rifled. Barrel has not been hand lapped. Normally there is copper covering them and you can't tell. but with a clean barrel it's something of concern. Anyone know what i'm looking at?

Tool marks left from drilling the hole through the barrel...the single point cutter only cuts the grooves...hand lapping would probably remove the tool marks.

If it shoots don't waste time worrying about it...it'll be fine as it is.

Tool marks left from drilling the hole through the barrel...the single point cutter only cuts the grooves...hand lapping would probably remove the tool marks.

If it shoots don't waste time worrying about it...it'll be fine as it is.

My thanks Ridgerunner, I just broke it in fireforming brass. Just getting ready to start proper load development now. So far it has the signs that it's a shooter. All I care about is accuracy concerning these marks. As long as they aren't derrimental to that, I'm happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.