Manners Riflestocks: Customer Service

Think about that for a minute. Does that actually make any business sense? We have become a McDonalds society. We claim we want quality but don't want to wait. I have zero problem waiting. The problem comes when they don't meet promise times. Just tell me how long so I will know.

I doubt the long wait as anything to do with them pouring all sorts of quality into the product , I think it may have something to do with the fact that they are not equipped to meet the high demands they have for there product , it's time to expand the compagny don't you think ? I know what you are saying about this McDonald society but I think a 6 week wait would be reasonable not 6-12 months

No, I do not agree. If you are not after Manners' quality then why not just get a B&C? High production products are the reason I am building a custom in the first place. You can do what you want with your money. It is yours after all. You are absolutely insane if you think hand laid carbon fiber stocks of this quality are not time consuming to make. I will say it again. If Tom thought he could increase production and maintain this quality I have no doubt he would do it. You name one high production high quality anything. Rifles and ammo are at the top of my list. The faster they are made the less quality goes into them. By your logic McMillan and Manners should be hiring left and right and new stock makers should be popping up in every state to get a piece of the pie. The fact is not many can produce a stock this light and high quality at the same time. Again I agree if I were the OP I would be upset, not because of the wait, because of what took place when he questioned the fact it was overdue.

I doubt the long wait as anything to do with them pouring all sorts of quality into the product , I think it may have something to do with the fact that they are not equipped to meet the high demands they have for there product , it's time to expand the compagny don't you think ? I know what you are saying about this McDonald society but I think a 6 week wait would be reasonable not 6-12 months

How many multi-million dollar companies have you ran?

Would you want a house built in a week or 6mo?

How about this, you buy all the equipment and hire all persons to increase production. Your overhead just went up 50%... so you're saying you'd rather pay $900 for a stock that originally cost $600 just to have it in... 3mo?

Everything has a price. Find someone who has what you want and make them an offer they can't refuse.

How many multi-million dollar companies have you ran?

Would you want a house built in a week or 6mo?

How about this, you buy all the equipment and hire all persons to increase production. Your overhead just went up 50%... so you're saying you'd rather pay $900 for a stock that originally cost $600 just to have it in... 3mo?

Everything has a price. Find someone who has what you want and make them an offer they can't refuse.

Spot on. And also factory in - what happens to that market a year, two years, or 5 years down the road? Let's say Tom Manners invests a million dollars into more stations for production, hires multiple employees, and tries to speed production. This would probably take 6 months minimum to hire, train, and build. Whether this forum or others want to admit it, many firearms are a fear commodity. If consumers think they'll be regulated, we see a run on a specific type of commodity and the market fluctuates. While I think high-end precision rifle stocks are less immune to this, they aren't completely, and investing millions into speeding up stocks by two months is a risky proposition, may not be feasible, and may compromise his product if he doesn't get quality manufacturers.

Again, I cant afford a Manners stock, but if I did, I sure would want some trained individuals producing the high quality theyre known for rather than someone who can do it quick, sub par, and emails me every week with an update. I'd be paying for a quality stock builder first and foremost.

Let me hijack this thread long enough to tell you about my latest Gunsmith experience.

Sometime around the first of September I emailed a Gunsmith that is well known among the Bench Rest people and told him I had a barrel and action in my possession and should have a reamer in about 30 days and that when I received the reamer I would like for him to thread, chamber, and crown my barrel. He told me to ship it to him to arrive after October 16th.

On Tuesday October 25th I shipped him a barrel, action, reamer, and go gauge. I watched the tracking number and he received it on Thursday October 27th late in the evening. The next day, on the evening of October 28th I received a notice from UPS that I had a shipment coming. Two or three hours later I received an email from the Gunsmith with an invoice attached. I received my stuff on Tuesday November 1st. The quality of the work looks great. I have never met or spoken to that Gunsmith.

Impressive. Note to self, best time to have rifle built is in the middle of hunting season. Hope the gunsmith doesn't hunt.

Thats good stuff edd.

Custom products take time.

I ordered a rifle and sent a few actions to a gunsmith that frequents this site. I was told 3 months on the build. At 6 months I started checking in monthly. After 9 months there were no return phone calls or emails for the next 6 months. At this 15 month time I scheduled a vacation to drive to his location to retrieve my rifle. The day before I left my items all showed up. Action was properly bedded in stock. Barrel was fit appropriately. Action on rifle and additional rifle action i sent to him were billed and payed for to be blueprinted, but the work was not done. I don't trust him to send him the actions back to make it right.

This made me mad enough that I decided I wasn't doing this again. I enrolled in the appropriate courses at my local state college. I was fortunate to have a gunsmith teaching metal machining and bench metal courses. I built a rifle the long and hard way with him. It took 2 years. It's a very nice example of a sporterized mauser done in the post war style. I gave it to my Dad for father's day. Not another one like it in the world.

I'm not in a life situation right now that it makes sense to own a lathe and mill. This will change in less than a year. Since then, I've made friends with a handful of gunsmiths that can make me anything I want in a timely fashion. They answer my phone calls. I take care of them when I can. I will have a lathe and mill soon, and will return to doing some of my own work.

Since then, I have a few revolvers at a custom shop now. Very unique in quality and product. Low production. I drop off 3 primary builds in 2008. I got the first one back in 2014. Still waiting on the other 2. No one else builds these, and I'm not skilled enough to do my own. If I want them, I will wait.

I've had a chamber reamer manufacturer burn me half a dozen times. His production volume went up, so he expanded, much like suggested earlier on this thread. Customer service went to hell. I'd inquire about a reamer and get a response. I'd ask to change a dimension or two, and request a reamer print to confirm my changes. No response. Email monthly for 6 months. No response. I order the reamer from a different manufacturer. Original reamer manufacturer bills and ships original reamer without changes I specify. I send it back and tell them to fix it or refund it. I'm charged a generous restocking fee.

I went to school in Kansas City. I frequently stopped by Tom Manners, GA Precision, and Badger. I was treated with respect by all three business. I've bought a GAP action or two from George. with flawless transaction. I continue to use Badger parts in all my builds. I just placed an order for 2 more Manners stocks after I picked up my first one. He gave me an estimate of the first of the year. I'm not sweating it.

I appreciate that my response is long winded. Here is what I suggest. If your timeline is short, buy a finished product. If you want absolute control of the product, learn to produce it yourself. If you can't get an off the shelf product to fit your needs and you can't produce it yourself, you will need to buy from a niche manufacturer.

I swage my own bullets. I use 3 or 4 different suppliers for tooling. Sometimes the wait is over a year. They do give an honest estimate, but the guarantee is quality. Dave Corbin offers the option to have your product expedited in speed for a 50% increase in price. It still doesn't have a time guarantee, but he does guarantee you get moved to first in line.

You could offer that. Order your next stock with Manners. Talk to Tom personally. Get your time estimate. Get your price quote. Ask if he'll guarantee the timing to 6 weeks if you pay him double. Worst he can say is, "no."

Sent off my angry email before I posted my rant on the forum and I got an email back from MCS.

I got an apology! Its all I wanted, admit that they messed up and let me know they would make it right. I was told the stock "slipped through the cracks" and now they are waiting on some parts.

Also, it wasn't the timeline being long that frustrated me. If I was in a hurry to get the stock I would have called at exactly the 6 month point when I was expecting delivery. (or bought one pre-made)

Price didn't make me mad, I paid a lot, but I knew what it cost when I made the order.

I guess I don't know how to explain, it was a total pain in the backside to make the order in the first place. And when I asked them where the stock was I got a BS email back with one line, no explanation, no apology, just another due date and why should I trust another due date if they couldn't keep the first one.

The new email was done right by somebody who probably had some customer service experience.

morning, to the person or persons who call H&S stocks a McDonalds special.

That is very disrespectable. I have used H&S for 7 of my rebuilds. I have never

had a problem with these stocks. Weatherby takes longer because of 9 lug receiver and german

design. Stocky's stock said a 3month wait. u want to use a manners or McMillian stock

so be it. I do not show disrespect to ur choice of stocks. I can very well

afford one of these mentioned stocks. like I said!! these stocks r very overpriced.

u want to waste ur money go ahead. some people use common sense over

bragging choices.

weatherby's forever

ThK. U lightbulb:Dgun)

Hi Nuttylemur ---Let me start by saying I'am sorry that you are have a bad experience with Manners Stocks. After your email to customer service yesterday afternoon, the office had got with me. I always handle these myself right away but this is shot show week and I was at our other facility preparing. I had the office do a quick look yesterday at what had happened, It looks like your build did get dropped after waiting on some outside hardware and did not advance like it should. Which is a 100% our fault. Instead of calling you direct I had the office call and shoot you a email. Once back in the main shop last yesterday I tried to call you but did not realize you are out of country till next month, or I would have also sent you a email. Shoot me a pm here or email me direct at [email protected] and I will make sure that we get you taken care of a 100% asap.
Thank you very much,

Hello,

And that is why Manners stocks are worth the wait and price!!
Try getting direct forum post reply and email to owner of H&S, etc.

THEIS

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.