Making Cases for 30 Gibbs

TAWS

I Keep hearing that it is better to start with the 280 rem. brass to form the final 30 Gibbs cases. So can you take a 280 case and run it through the 30 Gibbs resizing die and load it medium to light and fireform it?

You will need to make an enlarged false shoulder before you load and fire form it. The reason for using 280 brass is the longer overall length which will net you a longer neck on the Gibbs case. However, the round will have excessive headspace if you just run it through the Gibbs die. In my brass prep I use a 338 neck expanding button to open up the neck then I run the brass into the 30gibbs die which leaves a false shoulder to headspace against in the chamber. With 280 brass You would probably need to run the brass through the 30 cal expander and then the 338 expander before you run it through the 30 Gibbs die. The other option is to seat the bullet way out and cram it into the lands, but I don't really trust the neck tension to hold the round in place like a false shoulder.

Timnterra thanks for the info. I have a "lot" of once fired LC Match along with Rem. and Win. 30-06 brass and I have a set of 8X57 expander dies coming from Midway which should let me make the bulge I need for the false shoulder.

Since you have 30-06 brass, my Manual of Cartridge conversions states to "taper expand the '06 case to about .315 diameter F/L size in the Gibbs die. Square case mouth and fireform in the Gibbs chamber.

I Keep hearing that it is better to start with the 280 rem. brass to form the final 30 Gibbs cases. So can you take a 280 case and run it through the 30 Gibbs resizing die and load it medium to light and fireform it?
.270/.280 gives you an additional 1MM length over .35 Whelen. I just did 100 .280 Rem from Peterson using COW over the weekend. The sizing, as noted by Tim, is exactly how to do it. I started a .30 Gibbs post a few months ago with plenty of information >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/page-14

You should end up something like the ones on the left and right ...

Peterson .280 Rem brass 2 of 2.jpg

NOTE: Make sure you're trial run fits in the chamber before going further.

Last edited:
What would r 26 do in that?

Also after you necked it up....could you hydro form it it from there?

Hot glue in primer hole.
Fill with water.
Insert case into die and press with decap pin out.
Drop .308 punch into neck through die hole and punch.

?

So do you use the cream wheat after the hydro form? @ feenix
Negative! For pre-forming .30 Gibbs, I only use the COW method (). I use the hydraulic forming die on my .30 LARA. The picture below is with .35 Whelen brass ...

.30 GIBBS fire-forming progress.jpg

From L-R
1. .35 Whelen virgin brass. For .270 Win/.280 Rem brass, I have run a .309" and .339" expander mandrel first.
2. After re-sizing with .30 Gibbs sizing die.

.30 Gibbs fire-forming  from .35 Whelen - COW method 11g WSF 1 of 2.jpg

(Prepped for pre-forming, with 11g WSF, COW to the false neck shoulder, and then stuffed with a cotton ball)

(COW pre-forming at the range)

.30 Gibbs fire-forming  from .35 Whelen - COW method 11g WSF 2 of 2.jpg

(After COW method pre-forming)

3. After COW method.
4. After re-sizing with .30 Gibbs sizing die.

Let me know if you have any other questions.