Cases for .30 Cody Express

JKO

Just curious:

I was looking at the DAKOTA ARMS website, and I noticed that their .450 Dakota cartridge is based upon the .416 Rigby.

Since NORMA is currently the *only* supplier of .416 Rigby cases, I was wondering if it might be a good idea to use .450 Dakota or .450 Rigby cases as the basis for any cartridges that I might have made in the future.

As always, I welcome any advice or suggestions.

Thanks.
--JKO

You could but they are alot more difficult to neck down from 458 to 30 cal.

I hate to say this but why not just use a 30-378 Wby or better yet a 300 Kahn(30-378 with 35 degree conventional shoulder). These two are pretty much ballistic twins to the 30 Cody and a HELL of alot easier to work with.

Still $2 per case but thats pretty cheap when you figure they are ready to load and shoot, even the Kahn.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby:

I could do as you suggested, but it's probably less expensive in the long run to use what I have than to rechamber or rebarrel my rifle.

I was just curious as to whether using .450 Dakota or .450 Rigby ammunition for the parent case would be a more cost-effective solution to the problem, especially since NORMA is the only company that currently manufactures .416 Rigby brass. That's all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks.
--JKO

It may well be depending on what will be needed to get the 45 cal brass down to 416. I assume you have the tools to take it from there down to 300 since your set up already.

Is the Dakota brass actually cheaper then the Norma Rigby cases?

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby:

According to a few sites I've checked out, .450 Dakota cases are a little less expensive than the .416 or .450 Rigby brass.

Dakota Arms lists unprimed .450 Dakota brass at $2.25 per case, or $1.80 per case in lots of 100 or more.

Huntington Reloading Supplies lists .450 Rigby brass (made by Horneber) at $75.98 for a box of 20, or about $3.80 per case.

Superior Ammunition can custom-make ammunition for either cartridge.

--JKO

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.