Magnum 300's - Lets take another Look

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Phoeniceltic, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic Well-Known Member

Case Capacities for 300WM & 308 Norma being 89 & 88, and taking into account Hornady Load Data for the .308 Norma Shooting 210 Grainers,, everyone was settling?? or moved up to the Mega Magnum 300's introduced recently. Yet Hornady comes out with the 300 PRC and it seems all it gets is a Yawn. Is the PRC a 2 Mile Cartridge? Has Hornady given us the Best Magnum Bolt Face Cartridge to date with the 300-PRC? I think it's a Winner, yet I don't see other Manufacturers in a Rush to get on board? Have we lost the definition of a Standard 30 Cal Magnum?

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

The .300 Rum runs circles around all of them.

Hornady is doing what they think is in their best interests with the PRC line but the 30 PRC isn't breaking any new ground other than the shorter case.

3. Phoeniceltic

Is the .300 RUM considered a Standard Magnum Size? What Negatives come with the Longer Case? Is it more efficient? I see SAMMI lists "Instrumental Velocity" of the PRC using a 225 Grain Pill, yet Hornady Sells the 300 Norma Magnum with the same 225 Grain Pill at an Identical 2850 FPS? Does that mean the larger Magnum Cases are so inefficient or just downloaded for Box Ammo? How Big of a Case is a Standard Case? How long can you shoot the 300 RUM?

4. Peregrine82

Peregrine82 Member

The 30 Caliber market is pretty full. 10 years down the road the .300 Winchester Magnum will still probably be the most popular. I have been shooting the 300 Weatherby for a long time and see no reason for switching.

DavidleeCole likes this.
  5. WildRose

The RUM case is considerably larger diameter than the .300wm and it is longer. The OAL is 3.6".

Typically a larger diameter powder column burns more evenly and efficiently than a thinner column which is how the short magnums have been able to nearly match the full length standard magnums performance wise.

The Rum is the upper end of what is practical for .30 cal's. There is so little return for the added powder charge in terms of velocity between the Rum and 30-378 and you pay a huge price in additional recoil, muzzle blast, and flash.

The PRC was designed to get you to near .264wm performance in a standard 30-06 action and the 300 PRC is their attempt to get close to the .300wm using the same principle. Basically it's the 30 RCM with a longer case.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/08/its-official-saami-approves-hornady-6-5-prc-and-300-prc/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    CRaTxn likes this.
  6. Phoeniceltic

300 Weatherby = 98 Capacity, .375 Ruger = 99 grain Capacity. Can the 300 PRC match the Weatherby at a considerable cost savings on Brass using slightly less Powder? If we consider the BooBoo the Race Version to keep things in perspective and focus on Efficiency. Mega Mags like 30-378 wby, 30-338 Lapua Improved, plus taking into account the RUM holds considerably more Powder than the .308 Norma, lets just disqualify it as being a "Mega-Magnum" even if it is the lower end of the spectrum. I feel the Mega's are starting to focus more on how to best get the 300 Grain .338 Projectiles down range. (30 Nosler - 90 Grains Most likely qualifies as a Standard Magnum) . It seems I'm starting to define a difference between Standard Magnums and Intermediate Cartridges.

CRaTxn likes this.
  7. WildRose

The standard magnums were those based off of the old 300 H&H and those that fit into the same overall length and action.

Then we came up with the WBY's that tried to best them all by 100-250fps.

Then comes along the 6.5RM the first true "short mag".

Twenty five years late both Remington and Winchester try reinventing the wheel with a series of ever shorter and fatter "magnums" that could approach the performance of the "standard magnums" but do so in a short .308 Length magnum.

With the advent of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq came the real need for a super accurate sniper rround that didn't punish the shooter in the way the 50 BMG does so suddenly we're awash in .338's and .416's in various "super magnum" platforms.

Most of those require a much bigger, heavier, and longer action than was being produced in normal sporting rifles in the US.

The .300 Rum wend to the African Magnums for it's parent case and utilized the .404 Jeffery. While it has less case volume than the Lapua and others the difference in performance of the .300, .338, and .375 Rum's was quite acceptable and got within reasonable range of the velocities of the bigger cases with again far less punishment and will fit just fine in the standard 700 or Model 70 action with the 3.6" OAL with minimal modification saving them a great deal of money over having to build longer, heavier actions required for the Lapua sized case and allowing them to stick to the same .532" magnum bolt face due to the rebated rim.

Unfortunately there's a rather small crowd interested in the big .338's, .375's, and .416's due to the expense in ammo/components and pretty nasty recoil so while the .300 Rum has remained pretty popular and there's still some life in the .338 Rum, the .375 is pretty well now considered to be an obsolete but not quite extinct cartridge.

Trying to class the various magnum catridges available today is getting more and more difficult as we move away from "belted magnums". For about fifty years if it had a belt it was a magnum and everything else was something else. Today it seems to be more about case size and powder volume.

CRaTxn likes this.
  8. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of selling my 300WM in favor of a new 300 Norma?
    But it's a case of trading something that I know works well ..for the unknown?

9. highdrum

highdrum Well-Known Member

300 Rum holds 113gr
    300 Norma holds 103gr
    30 Nosler holds 98gr

I've owned both the nosler and rum, currently building a norma as you can't get lapua brass for the other two. Handloaders marvel at the ease of building accurate consistent load data with it as well. It's capable of pushing 215s @ 3150fps, 230s @ 3000 fps pretty easily especially with the new lapua brass. Equals rum performance with 10% less powder, and shorter length cartridge. Only downfall is the lapua bolt faced action requirement that limits build options.

Phoeniceltic and RockyMtnMT like this.
  10. Elkhunter1983

Elkhunter1983 Well-Known Member

I am a little curious, Lapua 300 Norma brass is going at $1.80 a piece give or take. We don't really know how many loads they will go but are assuming they will take many more than the norma brass did. That seems on par or better than what I have seen 300 ultra brass for with lesser quality, that being said I have heard good things about ADG but am not sure but it seems they are both on par as far as cost is concerned. Its all about preferences and you would certainly have more options as far as factory rifles and ammo goes but I went with the Norma because of brass availability, absolutely no mag restrictions, and I was always under the impression that a heavier 30 cal bullet was going to come out which is going to come someday. I have been very happy with my decision but Im not going to say its better than the UM and Im not going to say its worse. Its all about the guy holding the rifle and his wants and needs.

kiwi49 and RockyMtnMT like this.
  11. Gord0

Gord0 Well-Known Member

BUT 6.5 CREEDMOOR!!! How dare you... End sarcasm.
    There's a 30 cal for just about everyone now a days. Pick a bullet weight range you want to use, the velocity you want to run it at, and there'll be a cartridge for it.

12. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

I think it brings less to the market than their other recent cartridges.

I would however probably buy a 300 PRC before a 30 Nosler. Would buy a win mag or a rum before either though.

13. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

No love for the 30N?

Steve

14. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

Am I wrong, or isn't the 308 Norma the same as a 30 -338 win? They are both based off of the 338 win mag or the 7mm rem mag's 2.5" case length.

If so, then how could the 308 Norma have virtually the same capasity as the longer (but same size around) 300 Win mag case?