Macys First Deer Grandmothers Old Rifle Happy Thanksgiving 2022

HammerBullets

11 Year Old Macy got her first deer. First cold snap in Texas got the deer moving. She drew on a spike as it was crossing an opening at 115yds, Slightly quartering away.
Using a 113 Shock Hammer out of her
Grandmother's newly re-barreled Mauser to 7mm08. The bullet struck perfect through lower lungs and removed the heart. The Hammer exited with a large main bullet path with several petals spread around. Spike expired quickly! Her Grandma would be proud with the new use of her rifle. Happy Thanksgiving 2022!

E8FF3A27-4853-4B05-A915-F859D785DB38.jpeg

11 Year Old Macy got her first deer. First cold snap in Texas got the deer moving. She drew on a spike as it was crossing an opening at 115yds, Slightly quartering away.
Grandmother's newly re-barreled Mauser to 7mm08. The bullet struck perfect through lower lungs and removed the heart. The Hammer exited with a large main bullet path with several petals spread around. Spike expired quickly! Her Grandma would be proud with the new use of her rifle. Happy Thanksgiving 2022!

View attachment 412395
Way to go Macy. I was about the same age - waaaay back - late 50's - when I got my first buck/Mulie - a forked horn - sooooo tasty.

I saw some dust down the road - and ran down - and looked up the hill a bit - and there they were - two of them - 75? yards - just looking at me. I shot one and had I been more experienced - would have filled out another tag - but as this was my first- just happy with the one. :)

Yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, my brother in laws granddaughter, 14, and he were planning a trip to their local range so she could shoot a couple rounds out of the Winchester .243 youth model before first day here in Pa. " Wishing that I could go along to the range and on the hunt "
Good shooting Macy, nice rifle too!

Forgot to mention - used the trusty Model 94 Winchester - lever action in .32 special - w/ 170 grain- round nosed bullets - with a side mounted - fixed 4x Weaver - that worked just fine for sharp young eyes. :) Those rounds only traveled a 2,250 fps (v. the 30-30 at 2,200 fps) but they sure could knock stuff down. Would easily handle Elk within say 150 yards - in our heavy Southern Oregon timer.

Last edited:
If we had something at longer range - unusual for us then - - Dad had the Sporterized 30/06 Springfield - that shot like q charm - ragged holes. It had a Timney trigger and Match barrel - beautiful blond stock - rebuilt by a family friend. Had a 3.9 x Simmons scope - which worked just fine.

That rig could still handle about anything todaynout to say 400 yards - even a bit longer - but we pretty much just sighted in at 100 yards in those days. If we needed to get close - stalked quietly through the woods (or tried to. :) ) Worked most times getting closer.

Was taught to hunt in the woods by a family friend - Buddy - a Native American/Indian - who had been a Marine Sniper in the Pacific in WWII. He shot his deer thru the eyes to save meat.

View attachment 412395
Congratulations Macy on a nice little buck! I'm sure your family will love eating all that good venison you provided.

BTW...I have that same camo!