M70 Winchester a ***!!

G

About ten days ago I bought a .300 Win Mag M70 CRF rifle through Sports South in Shreveport, La. for the specific purpose of making me up a .338 Win Mag for elk hunting! I had already purchased a .338 #5 contour barrel from Douglas for this purpose. Today I talked with my Gunmaker, David Christman, Delhi, La. and his comment was..."this was the worst rifle I've ever seen for having "things" out of alignment; bores not in alignment with the action and when I started single pointing the threads...well...that's when the fun really began, not counting the fact that the front of the action was anywhere near being true to the shoulder of the barrel shank!"

I wasn't surprised whatsoever because that's why I told David to "blueprint" the action to begin with! What were both once great companies, Winchester and Remington have gone the way of the wild goose for producing quality products it seems!! I had informed David that I wanted a chrome moly barrel for this buildup, which he ordered for me and that I wanted him to bead blast both the barrel and the action so they would match! Well....he bead blasted and apparently the safety of this M70 is not chrome moly but stainless! So....due to the fact that bluing stainless requires a slightly different process than working with chrome moly....he'll have to order a safety from Brownells so things will match!!

FANFRIGGINTASTIC!! Quite a bit of trouble to obtain a Left Hand Action!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif David has consistently told me over the last ten years or so that he's totally amazed at the lack of quality of these two major companies and that the problem he's seen with this rifle I bought is nothing new to him!!

Ahhh ! Mr. Mulhern ,

Sad it it is and sadder still that "we " ( thats me and you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif among others ) are part of this problem. Why would I say that ?, easy, cause we continue to buy them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Consider this , you could have bought a custom action with not a lot of dollars diff because the smith wouldn't have to correct all those gimped dimensions !

This prob won't change till "we " ( you and me and a whole lot of others) change . However , since you and I and those of our stripe comprise such a small part of the buying public it is my opinion that they will continue to crank out" closet queens " that are better off staying in the closet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thats the way I see it , anybody got a different take speak up!

Just my 1 million dollars worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

You're RIGHT! In every aspect!! Shame...we're such DUMMIES!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I to was a sucker once but never again. I bought a Stealth II in 308 that I would not trust enought to shoot one of our Canadaian cows with BSE. After trying to shoot some half decent groups I pulled the bolt out of the gun and colored the lugs with a marker, replaceed it and cycled it a few times and to my amazement the left lug was not even touching. To make a long story short I have contacted Winchester and the gun is going back to have the receiver trued. Oh well, it was a good learning experience and they usually don't come cheap.

Gotta love those high quality remchesters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
OK, back to cleaning my Savage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Winds permitting, much shooting planned for tomorrow.

Your experience is my biggest fear in dropping the cash on building a custom rifle based on a WW or RP action. It seems to me to be roughly the same cost to buy a custom action instead of gambling on not getting one of the actions you described. From the quotes I've solicited, I figure its a 10% increase in the total price of the gun, no optics involved, to go with a Nesika, BAT, . . . compared to purchasing a donor action and having it trued. With reports of headaches and all like yours, it seems a small price to pay for the end result . . . satisfaction.

I think I'll wait an additional year to save up and get the Nesika or Bat actions for my dollar. That being said, I already have a Tooley MBR stock in the works for my .22-250's remodel into a 6BR. Is that hypocritical? Not really, because I already own the action so I deduct that money with some creative, Enron-derived accounting practices. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So sad to hear of your troubles, but I bet they'll all be forgot when the 1/3 MOA groups start getting popped at your local shooting stop.

sewwhat89

And now....you've hit on the BASIC REASON WHY....I've made this post!! The ONLY WAY....one may come out "ahead of the game" cost-wise is if they are skilled in machinist work enough to do the work themselves, but in the final analysis this involves investments of much time/money that many do not have or are not willing to make! I've been kicking myself for years now for not buying a lathe/mill to do my own work but other business involving my time has been required (flying airplanes) to the degree that it hasn't been possible!

So....in the long run....anyone who is thinking about building up a super accurate LOUDENBOOMER should give SERIOUS CONSIDERATION toward purchasing one of the CUSTOM ACTIONS! The guys building these are better than good and their products are more than worth the price that is required!

Thanks for your replies guys! HOLD HARD & STAY CENTER!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Consider this , you could have bought a custom action with not a lot of dollars diff because the smith wouldn't have to correct all those gimped dimensions !

[/ QUOTE ]

While I would never downplay the awesomeness of a custom action, I don't see where some of you say they aren't a lot more than a blueprinted factory job.

Let's take a Rem 700 action from Brownells:
$400 plus s&h.
Have a smith blueprint: anywhere from 150-$250
Maximum total=$650 and change.

Now, buy a Rem 700 adl synthetic from Wally world:
$319-$360
Sell the stock for $40 and the barrel for $75.
Send it to a smith:
$250 maximum

Total maximum cost: $495

Now look at Nesika or Bat:
ANywhere from $900-$1300 without floor plates, triggers, or trigger guards.

So, you can see that it will almost DOUBLE the price of your project if you go the custom action route. Now to some that might not be a big deal forking over an extra 5 or six Benjamins, but to me it adds up quick! If you have the money, by all means go for it. You won't be disappointed. Just remember that you could literally buy and blueprint TWO Remmy's for the price of one custom. That means you could have two new calibers and/or two new guns. One for hunting, one for varmints or whatever.

The trick is finding a smith you trust and who can get the job done right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way, I do agree with your comments on Rem and Win's quality control going to hell in a handbasket. It seems they are not caring what goes out the door anymore and they act like you have no choice in the matter! I hope the arrogance of these companies doesn't destroy them.

I am surprised that you are surprised at this. Production grade rifles are the reason that 85% of all hunters will not engage their target beyond 300 yards. The scopes are worse and one could say that it is almost a conspiracy to keep the general public / hunters shooting crap and in the dark. Check out the Surgeon Actions. They are in the price range of Nesika and have a picantinny rail machined right into the reciever.

Chrome Molly is also my choice of steel! Stainless steels are not recommended for shooting in cold weather, and are softer. You won't find SS barrels on the German (DSR), Fin (SAKO) and Swiss (SIG) rifles.

Not surprised! That's why I tore it down and totally reworked it! Knew this before going in! Basically...I just wanted the action! The last one I'll buy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a Mod 70 Laminate Its the Classic action chambered in 270WSM when I first got it It shot marginal.Action was super stif and tight. Had it accurized and installed a temney trigger. Took over 200RNDS to brake in the BBL. Now its a tack driver. 1/2" grpoups at 200yds with my tailord hand loads. Seating bullets into lands is what it loves. So with a little help my M-70 is a mighty fine rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I would never downplay the awesomeness of a custom action, I don't see where some of you say they aren't a lot more than a blueprinted factory job.

Let's take a Rem 700 action from Brownells:
$400 plus s&h.
Have a smith blueprint: anywhere from 150-$250
Maximum total=$650 and change.

Now, buy a Rem 700 adl synthetic from Wally world:
$319-$360
Sell the stock for $40 and the barrel for $75.
Send it to a smith:
$250 maximum

Total maximum cost: $495

Now look at Nesika or Bat:
ANywhere from $900-$1300 without floor plates, triggers, or trigger guards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus $150.00 to $200.00 to sleeve the bolt if you want to match a custom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And when ya get down to the "nut cuttin" a Nesika isn't anything but an over-priced Rem 700 action!

Flame away!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.