M70 twist rate

mustanggt

I bought one in a featherweight 264 win mag. Not sure of twist rate 1 in 9 maybe? If so it would seem that it wont stabilize 140gr bullets. Wanted to try the Berger VLD hunting. I wanted to shoot that weight. Would it be borderline? I suppose i will just have to try it out. Anyone have any experience? Its new by the way.

It is 1:9. I have the Ultimate Shadow in, .264, with a 26 inch barrel. It shoots less than half moa with the Berger 140 vld. Shoot the Berger bullets and see if your rifle likes them.

Flytyn, thank you for the reply. I hope it shoots well. I'll give em a try and report back. Thanks again.

I have a 6.5x55 with a 9 twist that shoots 140 VLD's very accurately. Though I have heard reports of the 140 class VLD's not stabilizing in 9 twist barrels, that has not been my experience. The only way to know for sure is to try them.

I also have an M70 Sporter in .264 Win Mag. I developed a load with 140g Partitions first in anticipation of hunting at shorter ranges. It shoots those just fine. I haven't had a chance to develop loads with VLD's yet, so I don't know if my rifle will shoot them well or not. I have plans to try the VLD's with Retumbo and RL-33.

That's good to hear. I'd like to try some of the real slow powders like Retumbo, H1000 etc. But none to be had locally. Powder is hard to get. Not a problem getting some primers. Thanks for the help fellas.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.