Lumber prices

View attachment 218948Yes I am living the nightmare I just started building a house approximately a month ago my framing package went from $9000-$18,000 after considerable shopping around I got it down to 15,000 and paid for it immediately to lock it in even though I did not need it yet I've been told it's due to demand of course with all the weather and hurricanes we've had in Texas Florida Louisiana and many housesBeing destroyed Another word for it is price gouging
Well a little more progress to report I finally got my plumbing roughed in yesterday
57D3DDBA-CCF7-414F-81E5-C8D60D59AA0F.jpeg
AEC3D081-9E36-4FAB-A89E-28BB4C33DB5E.jpeg

It always blows my mind how much foundations/construction methods differ just in various parts of this country. Down here in south Texas my slabs look nothing like that😁
Enjoy the building process....
It has a lot to do with elevation changes in 72 feet my property drops 4 foot or a little more that's the reason for the block stemwall and the top chorus is called header block or form block that is the actual forms the concrete will fill the wall solid down through the cells of the block and the top of the block is level and that is your form and of course the porches step down but you do not use a form block as the edge of the block would be exposed it is formed with wood to give you a slight overhang to be concrete without the exposed form block

Curious...
Why rock below the slab?
No sand or gravel available?
Is that a building code there?
Thanks
Not code but when you put the gravel in it does not need to be compacted and you don't have to worry about settlement causing slab cracks that's the one great thing about Tennessee at least my area no building permit the only inspections are electrical rough in electrical final and your septic system being as I have a double wide trailer here now and I'm tying into an existing system I don't even have to worry about the septic inspection

Last edited:
That sounds good to me but I am not counting on it I'm thinking end of January middle of February 2021

I work for one of the largest wholesale building product distributors in the US. 2020 has been an extremely challenging year. Covid cause March and April to slow but it came back huge in May with record #'s. Not enough supply in commodities ie. Lumber and panels. Prices shot up to highs I have never seen before and I have been trading lumber for 23 years. However for those of you that are thinking about building the good news over the last few weeks the prices are dropping and will probably drop in big numbers and very fast, mills are begining to be over produced so if you can hold off on your projects you will save a lot of money. It will take several months before you start seeing the pricing drop at the retail level but they will drop in the next month or two.

I work for one of the largest wholesale building product distributors in the US. 2020 has been an extremely challenging year. Covid cause March and April to slow but it came back huge in May with record #'s. Not enough supply in commodities ie. Lumber and panels. Prices shot up to highs I have never seen before and I have been trading lumber for 23 years. However for those of you that are thinking about building the good news over the last few weeks the prices are dropping and will probably drop in big numbers and very fast, mills are begining to be over produced so if you can hold off on your projects you will save a lot of money. It will take several months before you start seeing the pricing drop at the retail level but they will drop in the next month or two.
My supplier is saying we should start seeing lower prices in the next few weeks, but we're all expecting a slow price decrease....it sure has been a relieve to see yp hold for a week instead of climbing

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.