Lumber prices

I've got a foundation sitting right now waiting for lumber to come down. We will wait as long as we need to it to get back to normal, not spending an extra 25k just to have it done sooner!

I hope lumber price does come down. Does any of you who pay attention to buisness & stock news anticipate inflation is going to be more so than it has been for the last several years? I'm starting to think we are going to see greater inflation.

No just standard electric heat I'm afraid of gas but my brother-in-law does insulation so I'm getting a very good price on the isonene spray foam insulation
Is that open cell or closed cell? I'm not up on proper terminology though I have been doing a whole lot of research on the whole air seal/insulation side of building lately...I'm one of the fortunate people who actually love me job and kinda geek out researching that kind of stuff, building homes is almost as enjoyable for me as building guns 😁

I just wonder if the loggers & timber owners are actually seeing an increase in profit comparable to the cost of lumber suppliers prices? I ask this because as a cattle farmer, when beef goes to the sky in the grocery store, it's not nearly reflected that much when the actual cow goes through the sale. Strange how it works out that way.

birdiemc
Spray foam can come in a couple forms, the stuff you buy in propane bottles at the big block stores is open cell, most spray foam outfits run a generator and pump it out of steel drums as a two part deal, the two chemicals meet an inch out of the nozzle and create closed cell foam in varying densities, the closed cell is preferred.

birdiemc
Spray foam can come in a couple forms, the stuff you buy in propane bottles at the big block stores is open cell, most spray foam outfits run a generator and pump it out of steel drums as a two part deal, the two chemicals meet an inch out of the nozzle and create closed cell foam in varying densities, the closed cell is preferred.
My insulator offers both, typically they run open cell unless specifically asked to provide closed cell....from what research I've done that's perfectly fine here in south texas, but some of you folks with cold whether open cell is not the way to go

You are absolutely right, two totally different climates, here we need the closed cell for condensation reasons in winter, kinda like a walk in freezer in the sun on a hot Texas day... for 4 months steady no chance to dry out, it's just best that nothing get through. Warm air carries more moisture than cold causing a dew point in our walls, with closed cell the dew is trapped at a fixed moisture content at the time of installation.

For Texas I guess open cell is probably not an issue... I never really thought about it. The point of insulation for you would mostly be to help your a/c correct? Not nearly the same extremes in temp for that application...

Is that open cell or closed cell? I'm not up on proper terminology though I have been doing a whole lot of research on the whole air seal/insulation side of building lately...I'm one of the fortunate people who actually love me job and kinda geek out researching that kind of stuff, building homes is almost as enjoyable for me as building guns 😁
Closed cell on all the exterior walls up to the truss line open cell foam which is cheaper and much thicker on the underside of the roof plywood

You are absolutely right, two totally different climates, here we need the closed cell for condensation reasons in winter, kinda like a walk in freezer in the sun on a hot Texas day... for 4 months steady no chance to dry out, it's just best that nothing get through. Warm air carries more moisture than cold causing a dew point in our walls, with closed cell the dew is trapped at a fixed moisture content at the time of installation.

For Texas I guess open cell is probably not an issue... I never really thought about it. The point of insulation for you would mostly be to help your a/c correct? Not nearly the same extremes in temp for that application...
Exactly...we have insulation to keep house cool in the summer....my frost line here is 8 inches

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.